CHAPTER THIRTY THREE

She sent Nick a worried glance from the kitchen and then an annoyed one to her dad who kept on talking endlessly without noticing the discomfort and paleness of the person he was talking to, while Samantha just looked on, fiddling with her newly manicured nails.

The trio were seated on the porch that led directly into the kitchen by a glass door and directly overlooked the swimming pool that sparkled in the sunlight.

“Oh Anna. It’s all I can do not to go out there and stuff a napkin in his mouth”. She said in irritation to Anna who just chuckled as she stored away the plates they’d used for lunch.

Nick had asked her to invite Anna over so she wouldn’t be the only one preparing the huge lunch meals for their guests, since he was too weak to help her out.

“I’m sure Nick can handle himself”. Anna told her.

She sighed. “I don’t think so. Just look at that, he’s obviously in pain”.

“Come over here, will you?”. Anna urged her best friend over. “I advise you stay away from that door so you wouldn’t do anything stupid”.

Maddie walked over slowly to the island, she pressed a hand against the ache in the small of her back before sitting down in a more comfortable position. “I don’t know Anna. I’m not comfortable about all this at all”.

“Neither am I”.

“I mean, why would he just show up for lunch and sit there talking and pretending everything in his life is fine”. She winced and moan and had Anna’s immediate attention.

“Sweetie?”.

“No, no, no, it’s not labor, though I damn well wish it was. I’m just so uncomfortable all the time”. Hearing the petulance in her own voice, she winced again. “And I hate whiners”.

“You whine all you like. It’s just you and me here”. Always prepared, Anna brewed a teabag, added some milk and sugar and poured it in a mug. “Here. Drink it down”.

“I already feel like I’m going to float away some day…… like a balloon. God knows I’m big enough”. But she drank, fingering the neckline of her dress.

“God knows how many you are carrying in there”.

That did the trick of making her laugh. “One. Just one Anna, and you know that. Talk to me about something else”. She begged as she balanced her almost empty mug on the island. “Anything that can take my mind off the fact that I’m fat and grumpy”.

“You’re not fat and you’re only a bit grumpy”. Anna said but she cast her mind around for a little distraction.

Just as she was about to say another word, Samantha sauntered into the kitchen and they all kept quiet, a tensed atmosphere taking over the air.

“Um.. can I get a glass of juice?”. She asked, her chin raised high.

“Yeah. It’s in the fridge alright”. Anna said almost sharply, eyeing her suspiciously as she handed her an empty glass.

Maddie noticed well enough that although Samantha raised her chin up high, she didn’t look all so high and mighty like she always was.

“Are you alright? If you don’t like the atmosphere out there on the porch, you can come chat in here with us”. Maddie said and she earned a sharp look from Anna which she completely ignored.

Samantha just poured herself a glass of juice without saying a word or looking at anyone. She returned the remaining packet to the fridge and paused to look at Maddie well enough. “I really hope you have more kids for Nick after that one. It really hurts to be a lone child”. And she spun on her heels and out the door before they even noticed the tear drop.