CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

“She looks stressed”.

Nick turned to look in the direction Nathan was staring and he saw Maddie lying on the couch with her eyes closed. His brothers had come over to do their brothers’ fun things which he’d always found time-consuming and obnoxious.

Maddie had been lying in that position for a while now, since they came back from their meeting with Mr. Anderson and his daughter; they’d finally been able to seal the contract right there in Chicago.

Although Nick had been happy about the contract, he’d had mixed feelings towards his assistant; she’d looked drowsy and un-attentive during the meeting, she’d even missed her step twice and would have fallen if he hadn’t caught her consecutively.

“Hey”. Noah waved his hand in Nick’s face, bringing him back to reality. “What are you thinking about?”

Nick shook his head dismissively. “Nothing. Just a little worried about her”. When his brothers raised their eyebrows, he quickly added. “Of course, she’s my assistant. It’s only natural that I care about her”.

“If you say so brother, if you say so”. Nathan said with a lopsided grin.

“Has she gone to a hospital?” Noah asked, not taking his eyes off Maddie’s sleeping form.

“Yeah. That’s what she says”. He reached for a stress-ball. “It’s all I can do to not take her all the way to the hospital myself”.

Just when Nathan was about to say something cheek, they heard the elevator ding and a soft knock at the door.

“Are you expecting anyone?”. Nathan asked instead and Nick shook his head.

“I don’t remember handing out invitation cards to a party I wasn’t holding”. Nick said rather dryly before heading to the kitchen. “One of you should check who it is”.

“Noah you do that”. Nathan said lazily as he turned to follow Nick to the kitchen.

“Why should I?”.

Nathan gave his brother a stupid look. “Obviously I’m going to the kitchen to supervise things”.

“As if you know the difference between a cup and a saucepan”. Noah said with a scoff and went ahead to answer the door, leaving Nathan to stare after him in shock with Nick laughing uncontrollably.

“Oh. Hey Samantha” Noah greeted cheerfully as he stepped aside for a beaming Samantha to step in.

“Noah, long time no see”. She said giving him a hug.

It was hard not to notice her mini jean skirt that stopped at mid-thigh, revealing more skin than necessary. Even her top was so low around the neck, exposing too much cleavage.

“Same here”. He did a sweeping gaze of her outfit. "Nice skirt".

She beamed more. "Thank you".

He seemed confused for a while. “You here to see Nick, he didn’t say you were coming over”.

She laughed. “Yeah right. It’s just a surprise visit though. Where is he anyway?”.

“Same place aside from the office”.

“The kitchen?”.

“You bet”. They both shared a laugh and Noah led her to the kitchen.

On their way, she noticed Maddie sleeping on the couch and she rolled her eyes in pure disgust. Why couldn’t the lady go sleep in her bedroom, why did she have to act like a sleeping beauty in the living room?