Chapter 8

Stop and wait a sec
When you look at me like that, my darlin', what did you expect?
I'd probably still adore you with your hands around my neck
Or I did last time I checked
- '505' by Arctic Monkeys

The next day, Tsireya promised to teach them how to ride the ilus, which were the sea creatures that Tuk had interacted with before. Aliyah was excited about this, as she desperately needed to distract her mind from the situation with Ao'nung and Neteyam's interest in Tsireya. Neteyam noticed her absent mind as they relaxed on the beach for a while before joining Tsireya for the lesson.
He inspected her face before nudging her elbow, "What's going on? You seem distant."
Aliyah trailed spiraling figures in the sand in front of her before mumbling, "Nothing really, just trying to adjust to this new place."
Neteyam frowned, "Is it because of Ao'nung? If he is causing you trouble, I can make sure he leaves you alone."
Aliyah scoffed and rolled her eyes, "Oh please, why would you care?"
Neteyam moved his head in front of her to force her to look at him, "What do you mean? I have always cared about you."
Aliyah avoided his eyes, "Maybe before, in the forest. But your priorities seem to have changed."
She got up to leave, but heard Neteyam following behind her, "What are you talking about?" When she didn't respond, he continued, "I don't want you hanging out alone with Ao'nung, he's a bad influence on you."
Aliyah stopped in her tracks and turned around to face him, a threatening finger pointed at his chest, "Excuse me? You can't just forbid me to see him! Stop acting like my father."
Neteyam moved close to her, their faces now only inches away from each other, "Well, since he is not here, maybe you need me to save you from making stupid decisions." Neteyam seemed to realize his mistake right after speaking.
Aliyah's eyes widened as her mouth fell open, "I absolutely cannot believe you just said that to me."
She started walking away, and Neteyam tried to apologize, "No, Ali, I didn't mean it like that! I'm sorry!"
Aliyah started running toward the beach where they were supposed to ride the ilus, feeling tears forming in her eyes, "Go away! Leave me alone!"
Neteyam stopped and watched her outlines grow tinier in his sight. He smacked his forehead, "Ugh, stupid! Why did I say that?" He just couldn't stand her being around Ao'nung, but he didn't really know why. He started slowly making his way over to the same beach Aliyah was running to, suddenly dreading the lesson he was once excited about.

---

Tsireya smiled widely as she saw all the forest Na'vi arriving, "Okay! Time to learn how to ride the ilus! First, we're going to split up into groups."
Aliyah stood as far away from Neteyam as possible, not wanting to be in the same group as him at the moment. Tsireya went over to the two brothers, leading them away from the others, "I'll teach Lo'ak and Neteyam! Ao'nung, can you help out Aliyah, Kiri, and Tuk?"
Aliyah rolled her eyes at the girl, who she thought desperately wanted to spend time with Neteyam again. She made her way over to Ao'nung, who smiled down at her. He seemed a bit more friendly today. He started making calling noises with his mouth to attract the ilus. Once they came, he held out his hand for Aliyah to take it, which she hesitantly did. He helped her position herself on the ilu, his fingers gently gracing her thighs. She was expecting to feel the same kind of electricity rise up her body that she felt when Neteyam touched her like this, but nothing happened. Ao'nung made eye contact and instructed her, "Make the Tsaheylu, and feel the ilu breathing underneath you."
Aliyah nodded and made the bond by connecting her braid to the ilu's. Her pupils dilated as she felt the ilu stir between her legs. She felt his soul, his breathing, his mind. She slowly exhaled, a smile on her face.
Ao'nung raised his eyebrows, "I'm jealous of the ilu right now, maybe one day you can enjoy me being between your legs as well." He smirked after his flirty comment, leaving a blush on Aliyah's face.
She laughed, "In your dreams, fish boy." After this, she immediately took off, leaving Ao'nung and his dirty mind behind. She struggled to stay on the ilu, who dove into the water and was gaining incredible speed. She heard Ao'nung yell after her, "Tell it to slow down! Use your connection!"
She listened and focused on lowering the ilu's speed. The ilu obeyed and they were now swimming perfectly in sync. Aliyah resurfaced and let out a victory laugh. Ao'nung clapped his hands and smiled as she did a few more laps underwater. She maneuvered through the coral and now used only her hand to hold onto the ilu, as her body flowed elegantly alongside the body of the animal. She felt invincible like this, and she never knew she could enjoy the water this much. After a while, she returned to Ao'nung, her heart filled with joy.