Chapter 6

Lost in the blue
They don't love me like you do
Those chills that I knew
They were nothing without you
And everyone else
They don't matter now
You're the one I can't lose
No one loves me like you do
- 'Like You Do' by Joji

Aliyah and Neteyam returned to the family hut together after enjoying one last moment at 'their spot'. She was determined to follow his family to a new destination and decided to share her choice with the whole family. Once they entered the hut she scraped her throat, catching the attention of the family.

"I know you all have to leave the forest for everyone's safety, and even though it pains me to abandon the place that I have called home for my whole life, I have decided to come with you." She turned to look at each Na'vi present, before settling her gaze on Neteyam and continuing, "I realized I cannot spend the rest of my life without all of you. The forest may not be around us anymore, but you guys are my home."
Kiri was the first one to react, rushing over to hug Aliyah. "Oh, thank Eywa! I could never have survived these idiots without you by my side!"
Aliyah laughed and gratefully hugged Kiri back, "I would have missed you too, Kiri."
Tuk ran over as well, joining in on the embrace as she swung her arms around Aliyah's waist, gently pushing her head to her side. Aliyah gently stroked Tuk's hair as she caught Neytiri's eyes, a warm smile on her face, "I'm happy you're coming with us, Ali. This family wouldn't have been the same without you."
Aliyah joked, "Well, I couldn't find another awesome archery teacher like you, so I had no choice, really!"
Jake let out a small laugh as he came closer and placed a hand on Aliyah's head, "We're leaving tomorrow morning, so everyone will be packing tonight."
Aliyah nodded before leaving Kiri's and Tuk's embrace, "I'll be ready."
Lo'ak approached her slowly as the rest of the family returned their attention to packing, "You know, wherever we go, I'm glad you'll be there. You understand me more than anyone else."
Aliyah grabbed his shoulders and pulled him in for a short hug, "Everything will be fine, Lo'ak. Remember that I'm always here for you, okay?"
He nodded, unable to hold her gaze as this was clearly an uncomfortable topic for him, but she saw a small smile on his lips as he walked away.

Aliyah exited the hut to gather some of the things she stashed somewhere else but was halted by Neteyam calling her name.
"Aliyah, wait for a second! Can we talk?" Aliyah nodded and they walked a bit further away from the hut for some privacy. The freckles on his body were shimmering brightly as he stared down at her, looking into her eyes intensely. "I just have to know, are you sure? About coming with us? I don't want you to get hurt because of this choice."
Aliyah placed the palm of her hand on his chest as she spoke, "Neteyam, I know that this is dangerous, but you have to understand that you can't change my mind about this. I thought about this until my head literally exploded, and in my heart, I know it's destined to be like this."
Her hand slid up his chest to cup his cheek, "I have to stay with you. You're the only one that can bring me peace. I need you."
He sighed as he hugged her tightly, as if he was scared she would disappear if he didn't hold her hard enough. She felt her ear tingle as his breath brushed against it when he whispered, "I need you too, Aliyah. I don't think I would have ever been happy in a new place without you."
Aliyah wrapped her arms around his back and nestled her face in his strong chest. They stayed like that for a while before unwrapping their limbs from each other.
"I have to say goodbye to my parents, I don't know if I'll ever see them again..." she felt a numbing pain in her heart as she heard herself say those words out loud.
Neteyam calmly replied, "If you want me to come with you, I will. And I don't think you'll never see them again, Eywa connects everyone on this planet, and your connection is strong enough to cross that distance."
Aliyah nodded absently, "Thank you, but I have to do this alone, and I hope you're right."

---

Aliyah made her way over to the Tree of Spirits with a heavy heart. This could be the last conversation she ever has with her parents. She wouldn't allow herself to think about this earlier, but as she approached the Tree, the thoughts become more present in her mind. She stopped in front of a pink shining thread, as she reached for her braid and made the connection.
Her mother and father smiled when they saw her.
"Hello, my daughter. How are you?" Her father spoke softly. Aliyah felt tears hanging on the edge of her eyes, "I have come to say goodbye. Jake and Neytiri are taking their family away from the forest to keep them safe, and I have decided to go with them. I realized that they are my home now, and I wouldn't have been happy here without them."
Her gaze fell down to the ground, "I don't know if I will be able to talk to you again, and I'm sorry that I'm leaving you like this. I know you're disappointed in me."
Her mother came over to place her hands on Aliyah's shoulders, "My child, we have never been more proud of you. Your father and I have raised you to be a strong, independent woman who can make her own choices. How could we ever be disappointed in you?"
She kissed her forehead and left room for Aliyah's father to speak, "Don't think you'll get rid of us this easily, we will always be with you," He pressed a finger against her heart, "in here."
She hugged both of her parents tightly, as she felt tears fall down her cheeks, "I love you both so much. I will find a way to talk to you again, even if it's only in my dreams."
"We love you too, Aliyah, so much."

After this heavy conversation, Aliyah returned to the hut to finish packing everything. As she entered, the whole family was sitting down in a circle for dinner.
Kiri smiled, "There you are! Come join us, we saved a spot." She patted her hand on an open space between her and Neteyam. Aliyah sat down cross-legged as she caught Neteyam's eyes. He raised his eyebrows as if to ask if she was okay, to which she nodded and started eating the meal Neytiri had prepared for them. She chatted away with the family for the rest of the evening and her heart felt a little bit lighter as she went to sleep that night.

---

The next morning, the whole clan was gathered around Jake as the Tsahik performed the ritual to transfer the role of Olo'eyktan from him to another warrior from the Clan, Tarsem. In this ritual, the leader must die before another can become Olo'eyktan, so Tarsem held up a knife high in the air and shouted as he pretended to stab Jake's chest, leaving behind a cut.

Aliyah and the rest of the family stood behind him, their faces covered in pain as they prepared to leave the clan behind. Jake made his way through the crowd, who had created a path for them. They slowly walked behind each other as Neytiri cried. She felt the most pain out of all of them, knowing her father had trusted her to lead their people after he passed away. But she knew she had to follow her husband to keep her family and the rest of the clan safe from the Sky People. Neteyam reached for Aliyah's hand as she saw his jaw clenched together to push his emotions away. She squeezed his hand to show her support and walked closely behind him through the path. The clan felt a deep sadness as they saw their leader and his family leave, and paid their respects to them as they slowly disappeared from their sight.

They all mounted their Ikrans, Tuk holding on to Neytiri, as they left the beautiful forest they called their home for so many years. Aliyah looked back at the trees growing tinier in her vision, before setting her gaze in front of her and never looking back.

----------------------------------------------------

1408 words

A bit of a shorter chapter now, I didn't want to put the meeting of the Metkayina clan together with Aliyah saying goodbye to the forest. 

Next one will be them arriving in their new destination! How do you think they will interact with the teens of the clan?

Don't forget to vote as this really helps to give my story some more exposure! I would really appreciate it! :)

I also love reading your comments, and you can add this book to your library if you haven't already! <3

Lots of love,
Mar xo