Chapter 7

Even when the sky comes falling
Even when the sun don't shine
I got faith in you and I
So put your pretty little hand in mine
Even when we're down to the wire baby
Even when it's do or die
We could do it baby, simple and plain
'Cause this love is a sure thing
- 'Sure Thing' by Miguel

After a long journey, the bright blue pools of water came into Aliyah's vision as they approached Awa'atla, a village of the Metkayina clan. They heard Na'vi shouting, curious about the arrival of the strange group. A horn was blown as the Sully family landed their Ikrans on the soft sand next to the huts. Aliyah took in the sight before her, and even though it was very different from her usual surroundings, she had to admit the light blue water crashing softly into the sand seemed very appealing.

As soon as they dismounted their Ikrans and walked forward, they were surrounded by the Na'vi of the Metkayina clan, who looked fairly different from them. Their color wasn't the same dark blue as theirs but had more of a lighter green-blue hue. Their arms weren't thin but wide and strong, and their tails and chest shared the same fate. Aliyah didn't know what to think of them, she couldn't make up her mind if she found them beautiful or odd. Maybe it was both. Neytiri turned around to the teens and warned them under her breath, "Be nice!"

Jake held out his arms as a sign of peace as Tuk grabbed onto Neytiri's hand, scared of the new impressions. The rest of the teens stood behind them, Neteyam in between Lo'ak and Aliyah, and Kiri standing a bit further to the side. Two teen boys, about the same age as them, approached the three teens with stern looks on their faces. Aliyah and Lo'ak followed Neteyam's lead and signed an 'I see you' to them, to show their friendly intentions. The two teen boys, however, didn't return the gesture and started inspecting the dark blue Na'vi, obviously finding their 'strange' appearance amusing.
The smaller one nudged his friend, "Look! What is that? Is that supposed to be a tail?" They heard laughter from the other Na'vi as Aliyah felt uncomfortable with everyone's piercing gaze. Her eyes narrowed as the taller one approached her. His hand went up to her hair, "At least this one is kind of pretty." Aliyah lightly pushed away the webbed hand as she shuffled closer to Neteyam, and grabbed his hand while never breaking eye contact with the rude Metkayina boy. His lip curled up into a snarl as his eyes shifted between the two of them and backed off. Neteyam bit the inside of his cheek to suppress a proud smile as he firmly held Aliyah's hand.

Suddenly, a girl around the same age as Lo'ak exited the water gracefully, and everyone couldn't help but look at her. Aliyah had to admit she was very beautiful and felt a hint of jealousy as she noticed Neteyam looking at her as well. The smaller boy was still insulting the tails of the forest Na'vi, "It's too small! How are they supposed to swim with it?" The girl then pushed away his hand, "Enough! Rotxo, Ao'nung!" She stared them down until they eventually seized their insults. The girl then locked eyes with Lo'ak while he blurted out, "Hey!" The girl giggled and looked down shyly as Aliyah shot a side-eye glance at Neteyam, both holding back a smile at Lo'ak's awkward attempt at flirting.

The moment was interrupted when the leader of the Metkayina clan arrived at the gathering of people. He was strong and his skin was covered in tribal tattoos. Aliyah found this intriguing, as her clan never had these types of markings. Jake gestured, "I see you, Tonowari." This time, it was warmly returned as Tonowari smiled, "Jake Sully!"
Everyone followed his lead and greeted the leader of the clan, while his wife pushed a path through the crowd. She did not have the same friendly look on her face as her husband did, and Jake seemed worried. He quickly greeted her, "I see you, Ronal, Tsahik of the Metkayina." Neytiri did the same.
Tonowari spoke, "Why do you come to us, Jake Sully?"
Jake replied, "We seek Uturu. A sanctuary for my family." Ronal did not seem pleased with this question, as she came closer to inspect the family. Tonowari hesitated, "We are reef people, you are forest people. Your skills will mean nothing here." Jake assured him, "So we will learn your ways! Right?" He looked at Neytiri, who nodded in agreement. Ronal grabbed Neytiri's tail, who shot a glare at the Tsahik. Then, Ronal grabbed one of Tuk's arms, "Their arms are thin!" She moved on to Kiri and snatched her tail, which Kiri quickly took back because the action had hurt her, "Their tails are weak! You will be slow in the water." She then noticed Kiri's hands and inspected them, "These children aren't even true Na'vi!"
Aliyah flinched, she knew the extra finger was an issue for some people, as it reminded them of the Sky people. Kiri protested, "Yes, we are!" Ronal ignored her and made her way over to Lo'ak, who looked defeated as she inspected his hand as well, holding it up in the air for everyone to see. She exclaimed, "They have demon blood!" The reef people hissed in surprise and anger, as Jake tried to calm down the situation by holding up his own five-fingered hand in Ronal's face, "Look! I was born in the Sky people and now I am Na'vi. You can adapt!" He turned his attention back to Tonowari, clearly expecting more compassion from the leader than from his wife, "We will adapt! Okay?"
Neytiri seemed to have enough of the insults, "My husband was Toruk Makto. He lead the clans to victory against the sky people!" She spoke proudly. Ronal was not impressed, "This you call victory? Hiding among strangers? It seems Eywa has turned her back on you, 'Chosen One'." Neytiri hissed, which was returned by Ronal.
Jake intercepted them, "I apologize for my mate, she has flown a long way and is exhausted." Neytiri stared him down, "Do not apologize for me! Jake!" She gave up and returned to Jake's side.
Tonowari spoke to his people, "Toruk Makto is a great war leader! All Na'vi people know his story. But we, Metkayina, are not at war. We cannot let you bring your war here."
Jake sounded tired, "I'm done with war, okay? I just want to keep my family safe."
Neytiri ended the discussion, "Uturu has been asked."