Chapter 2

I fear real danger
This world ain't simple
But I'm strong, I know how to get out
And I'll find my way 'cause
'Cause it's love, real simple and that's how it works
- 'This World' by Selah Sue

A couple of days later, Jake and the rest of the Omatikaya warriors had planned a mission to take out a transport train of the Sky People. Neteyam and Lo'ak were assigned to spot bogeys while riding on their ikrans. Aliyah was the first one to volunteer for this mission, eager to fight alongside her brothers and sisters against their enemy.

The plan was elaborately explained by Jake: they were going to shoot a missile at the tracks, stopping and destroying the moving train. The Na'vi were going to attack from both the ground and the sky, creating a fierce invasion on the Sky People. Because of their inexperience and age, Neteyam, Aliyah, and Lo'ak were forbidden to be a part of the ground team. This did not bother Aliyah, as she had always loved Sevin, her Ikran. On the day that Aliyah had to choose her Ikran, Sevin was the one that stood out to her. She had a beautiful pattern of lines and twirls on her skin, seeming to change colors when the gentle rays of the sun hit their contours. Aliyah was immediately mesmerized by her, and could only say, "I can't believe she is so pretty."
The only name that suited her was therefore Sevin, Na'vi for 'pretty'. Ever since then, Aliyah spent hours with Sevin, enjoying the breeze of the wind in her hair and basking in the love shared between them. Jake giving her another opportunity to unite with her sister, was therefore something she would never complain about.

On the day of the attack, Aliyah prepared herself for battle. She equipped her bow and put her hair up in a tight ponytail, making sure it would not get in her way during the fight. She and Neteyam helped each other put warrior paint on their faces. She ran a delicate finger covered with yellow paint over Neteyam's forehead, continuing over the bridge of his nose and on his cheeks. She felt his cheeks move and noticed him smiling as he was staring into her eyes. She blinked rapidly a few times and raised an eyebrow, "What's wrong? What's so funny? Do I have paint on my chin? I knew I felt something." Her hand moved towards her face as Neteyam grabbed her wrist to stop her. "No! I was laughing at your focused face. You always stick out the tip of your tongue when you focus on something." He mimicked the face she was making and she crossed her arms as she huffed, "Well if I am that annoying to look at, you can find someone else to paint your face!"
He laughed, "I never said it was annoying, I always thought it was kind of cute actually."
Aliyah was surprised by his answer and felt a blush creeping up her face. Just as she opened her mouth to give a reply, Lo'ak entered the hut.

"We have to leave now guys, they're waiting!" His eyes quickly flicked between the two of them and he furrowed his brows. That's when Neteyam noticed he was still holding Aliyah's wrist, so he quickly let go. "We'll be right there, brother."

Aliyah ran up to Sevin and greeted her ikran by pressing her forehead against her head. "It's so good to see you. Ready to fight?" Sezin spread out her wings and straightened her head in response, indicating that she was prepared for the battle. Aliyah smiled while she made the bond and mounted the ikran.  She looked at Neteyam as she pulled down her visor, to which he nodded. She let out a war scream and flew off together with the rest of the warriors.

---

"Ground team, go!" Jake commanded into the communication device around his neck. Aliyah watched as one of the members of the ground team shot a missile from his weapon, hitting the train rails and creating a gap. The train crashed on the rails, causing the wagons to disconnect and fly over in different directions. There were enormous explosions everywhere while some helicopters protecting the train halted their route to look for the attackers. Jake steered his ikran towards one of them and shouted as he shot the machine down. Neytiri chased down another helicopter, releasing her arrows and killing several soldiers. Aliyah had always respected the way in which Neytiri fought so elegantly with her ikran, swerving around the machine to fight a battle the Sky people would never win. The helicopters crashed as the ground team held up their weapons and let out war cries. Neytiri returned this gesture by holding up her bow and ululating.