Chapter 14

I woke up to a loud bang. "What the hell was that?" I asked. "I don't know," Colby responded. "Should we go check it out?" I asked the sleepy boy. "Nah, I think it was nothing," he said with a rasp in his voice. He is so cute when he's sleepy, I thought to myself. "What are you looking at?" Colby asked with a smile on his face. "You," I said and found myself smiling too.

I laid back on his chest as he put his arm around me. "You know, I think you're really beautiful," Colby said with a soft voice. I hugged him. "What time is it?" I asked as I turn around to grab my phone from the nightstand. "It's already 1 PM," I said with a sigh. "We should go downstairs," I said.

Colby and I went to the living room downstairs. Everyone was already up. "Hey," Jake said. "Hey," I responded with still-sleepy eyes. "Did you two sleep well?" he asked. I looked at Colby and nodded. "Do you want something to eat?" Elton asked. "No I'm good, thank you," I said. Elton looked weird at me. "Hey, Colby? Can I talk to you for a second?" I asked the boy. He nodded as he came towards me.

"What's up?" he asked confused. "Can you take me home in, let's say, an hour?" I asked. "Yeah sure," he said. I need to talk to Denice.

"Are you ready?" Colby asked me as we went to the front door. "Yeah, I think I have everything," I said. "Alright let's go then," he responded. We walked to Colby's car and we drifted away. "Shit," I said out loud. "What? Did you forget something?" Colby asked. "Yes... No... Sort of..." I said unsure. "I still have your shirt on," I said softly. Colby laughed. "Why are you laughing?" I asked the boy. "I didn't say anything on purpose," he said with a smile on his face. "I wanted you to keep wearing it," I looked at Colby and smiled to myself. Man, I love this guy, I thought to myself.

"We're here," Colby said as he parked his car. "Thank you," I said to him and I smiled. When I wanted to leave the car Colby held me back, "Do you want me to go with you?" he asked. "No, I'll be alright," I gave him a friendly smile.

"Denice?" I spoke into the apartment. "Hey, I'm here," I heard her voice come from the kitchen. I went over to where her voice came from. "How was it last night? Did you have fun?" Denice asked. "Yeah, I had a lot of fun," I responded as I took a seat at the kitchen table. She turned and saw that I was smiling. "I'm glad you had fun," she looked worried. "Did you tell Colby about the hospital situation?" she then asked. My face went sad immediately. "Oh Hailey," she said with a sad voice. "I couldn't yet..." I said.

I went to my room and sat on my bed. I felt tears appearing.

"He wouldn't like you anymore if he knew. You know that." the voice in my head said.

I know I can't tell him yet, but I want to... I don't know what to do...

I got up from my spot and went back to the kitchen. "Are you feeling okay?" Denice asked. I nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine,". "Did you eat something today?" she asked. "Yeah, I had pancakes with Colby," I lied to her. But she looked satisfied.

I grabbed my phone out of my pocket. I got a message from Jake. "Hey, we need to talk, it's kind of important. Can you meet me at the park in a few?" I read the message. "hey, I gotta go," I said to Denice.

I walked out the door without an explanation. As I arrived at the park, I saw Jake sitting on a bench. He looks kinda nervous. "Hey," I said as I approached the boy. "Hey, how are you?" he asked. "I'm not too bad, what did you want to talk about?" I asked. Jake took a deep breath and then said something that shocked me.