Chapter 28: Special

#DS5Unbowed #EmbRace #PuppyCouple #DaggerSeries

CHAPTER 28: SPECIAL

EMBER'S POV

A few weeks ago...

Hindi lumilikha ng ingay na umupo ako sa silya na nakapuwesto malapit sa hospital bed. Pero sa kabila ng pagdadahan-dahan ay nagmulat ang mga mata ng taong ngayon ay nakahiga roon. He always looked strong, as if there was nothing in this world that could get inside the shield he set for himself. This is the first time that I have seen him like this. Like he's breakable.

"You're okay," he whispered.

The way he said those two words was filled with such heavy relief. Imbis na magsalita ay tumango lang ako. Hindi ko alam ang sasabihin ko sa kaniya. The last time we talked... it didn't end well.

"D-Did they... did they do the same thing to you?"

"No. They shot at me." His eyes widened, and he tried to pull himself up as if he were trying to sit. Tumayo ako at pinigilan ko siya. "I'm okay, Pa."

"What happened?" he asked in the same quiet voice.

"They shot at me, and Trace protected me. He's in the hospital right now." Muli akong umupo sa silya at nagbaba ako ng tingin sa mga kamay ko. "An inch difference, and that man could have taken his life."

"They got him? The shooter?"

"They did. He's still not talking. Dagger thinks that he's waiting for the other accomplice. Maybe he thinks that they can still get away with this. But Dagger is putting pressure on him at the same time that they are making him wait. They want him to believe that he has been abandoned and that the accomplice will not help him so that they can force him to talk."

It's only been a day, and it feels like I'm being suffocated by everything. I've been here in the hospital since last night. Umalis lang ako sadali para mag-shower sa hotel kung saan ako nag check-in. Thorn convinced me to go to my father first, especially when his condition worsens, instead of going to the meeting.

Every part of me is telling me that leaving Trace's side was the wrong choice. That I should go to him and take back everything I said. That I should tell him that I want to stay with him. And yet I couldn't.

He was right. He was always right. Since the very start, I have had a hand up, ready to ward him off at any chance that he gives me a reason to do so. Times that I get farther from the safe boundary that I set for myself.

I wish that acknowledging that changed anything. That I'm immediately healed, and I'm all better. I wish I could say that the fears have vanished and I'm going to run back to him.

"They're investigating Stellan. Siya lang ang may access sa credit card ko bukod sa akin," pagbibigay alam ko sa kaniya.

"He wouldn't do that."