Chapter 45 - Within One's Remit

Duan Shu Tong wanted to go to the police at first, but then he thought about how he was just making conjectures with no substantial evidence. Furthermore, in the story "CEO's Letter" the law did not apply to the male protagonist. He was worried that Li Xiao would have the "get out of jail free" buff*, so he hesitated again.

[*T/N: Buff was written in English in the raws. A reference to buffs in games.]

Standing outside of Pei Ruo Wei's apartment, he took a deep breath to calm himself down.

It just so happened that Xi Duan had sent people to help Pei Ruo Wei move out, and Liu Zhi Fei was the one in charge.

When he saw Duan Shu tong, Liu Zhi Fei revealed a sincere and enthusiastic smile, "Young Master Duan, are you here to pick up Miss Pei?"

Duan Shu Tong frowned slightly, "Pei Ruo Wei is gone. I'm sorry Liu-ge, making you come here for no reason."

"Gone?" Liu Zhi Fei's simple and honest features scrunched up. He quickly turned around to call Xi Duan. He did not dare to tarry on matters concerning Young Master Duan and Miss Pei.

Xi Duan received the call and listened to Liu Zhi Fei talk for a bit, and then he asked him to hand the phone over to Duan Shu Tong.

"Apologies." Duan Shu Tong's voice was somewhat hoarse. "I did not think things through completely. I did not expect Li Xiao to do this."

He blamed himself deeply.

Xi Duan's warm and gentle words passed through the ice-cold phone, as if he was placating Duan Shu Tong, "It's Li Xiao's fault, it has nothing to do with you. Don't worry. I will take care of this. Go home now. I will be there in a while."

"Okay."

Duan Shu Tong knew that he could not help. Although it would not be considered a difficult matter to locate Pei Ruo Wei using the Duan family's wealth, he subconsciously did not want to disturb his family when it came to matters involving the male and female lead.

With Xi Duan on the case, there shouldn't be any problems now.

His only concern was whether Li Xiao knew that Pei Ruo Wei was pregnant, and what would he do if Li Xiao hurt Pei Ruo Wei by accident while not knowing.

After learning that she was pregnant, Pei Ruo Wei has been very careful.

But Li Xiao did not know that she was pregnant, so he dragged her to the car forcibly. In the process, because Pei Ruo Wei resisted, his methods also became more unyielding.

On the road, Pei Ruo Wei noticed that her abdomen was feeling uncomfortable. She was covered in cold sweat, but because it was night, Li Xiao did not notice it at all.

Perhaps it was out of grievance towards Li Xiao, or perhaps she did not want to show weakness to Li Xiao, but Pei ruo Wei gritted her teeth all the way, and did not let out a single groan.

It was not until he returned to Yan City that Li Xiao finally realized that something was wrong, and in a panic, he immediately sent Pei Ruo Wei to the hospital.

The Xi family had a wide network of contacts. Even if Li Xiao wanted to hide this, he could not. All Xi Duan had to do was make a phone call and he was able to gather all the information he needed.

Duan Shu Tong asked for leave from Zhai Jun, and then he rushed to Yan City with Xi Duan.

"How is she doing now?"

Because of his guilt, Duan Shu Tong was quite concerned about Pei Ruo Wei's situation.

Xi Duan sat next to the young man, and slightly turned his head to stare at his upset face. The worry in those peach blossom eyes made Xi Duan's chest feel ineffably stuffy.

That's right, when it came to feelings how could you give them up just because you said you wanted to?

[T/N: The above line is Xi Duan thinking this about Duan Shu Tong.]

Xi Duan retracted his gaze and spoke lightly: "Her condition has stabilized, both her and the baby are fine."

Duan Shu Tong finally set down the rock in his chest. Thinking that a busy person like Xi Duan would accompany him to Yan City, he couldn't help but smile. Feeling ashamed, he said: "Thank you."

Xi Duan's tone was cold: "It's my duty."

Duan Shu Tong was taken aback. That was right. Logically speaking, Xi Duan liked Pei Ruo Wei so much, so of course he would not just sit idly by.

In contrast, he had said that he was going to give up on Pei Ruo Wei, but he was still showing how much he cared for her. Although he knew his own thoughts and feelings, in the eyes of others, wouldn't it look like he was still carrying a torch for her?

It was no wonder that Xi Duan seemed unhappy.

After thinking about this, he secretly made up his mind.

When they arrived at the entrance of Yanshi Renguang Hospital, Duan Shu Tong got off the car first. With as much sincerity in his tone as possible, he said: "It suddenly occurred to me that I haven't been home for a long time. I want to go home to see my parents, so I won't go to see Miss Pei."

Xi Duan looked at him steadily for a few seconds. He was expressionless.

"Why?"

"I am relieved now that I know that she is safe." Duan Shu Tong was surprised by his peculiar mood, but he persevered with his own way of thinking.

Xi Duan probably understood what he meant. Duan Shu Tong intended to draw a line between himself and Pei Ruo Wei in front of Xi Duan.

His long eyelashes drooped slightly, and then lifted up again. He decided to tell him frankly: "You have misunderstood, I am not in lo..."

"You guys came earlier than I thought." Li Xiao suddenly appeared. His hoarse and angry voice interrupted Duan Shu Tong's words.

The blue veins on Xi Duan's forehead jumped. He lowered his head and adjusted his collar, as if he hadn't noticed the appearance of Li Xiao, and then he said to Duan Shu Tong: "I'll have Xiao Liu send you back first." He lifted a hand to stop the young man's words of refusal. "I will contact you when things are done."

Duan Shu Tong glanced at Li Xiao, who had a dark look on his face, and he secretly gauged the combat power of the two. Selfishly, he felt that Li Xiao lost to Xi Duan.

If he stayed, it would cause trouble for Xi Duan instead. It was better to go home and see his parents. So he left.