Risky crushes

Later that evening as filming wrapped up,
Kate watched as Avery struggled to squeeze her head through her necklace.

"You're going to rip your own head off." Kate bit her lip trying to not laugh at how ridiculous Avery looked as she struggled. Kate stepped closer to her co-star and began by gently pushing the tips of her index fingers between Avery's temples and the black corded necklace and worked it up into Avery's long dark hair

"Ouch. Is there any damage?" Avery rubbed her sore cheek and Kate placed her necklace with the green jasper stone hand wrapped in metal into Avery's pocket.

"Nope. Cute as a button like usual. Might've scalped you a bit though, I tried to be gentle. Why the hell are you wearing such a short cord?" Kate sat down and put her hair up and began wiping make up from her face.

"My first job right out of highschool was at a facility where trained specialists took care of the mentally challenged elderly. I was a specialist after six months of training but still behaviors was inevitable and there had been an instance where someone snapped and it was like they became someone else and started trying to choke me and ripped my necklace my little brother bought me off my neck. So when I tried to fix it, it's too small but I just haven't found the time to get a new cord." Avery took off her long sleeve shirt and shoved it in the bag, leaving her in just dark blue leggings and a black sports bra. She began digging through another bag for a tank top and failed to notice Kate had stopped removing her make up and was watching her in the mirror. Kate felt slightly guilty for a moment, looking at her the way she was but she couldn't look away. Not until the tank top was found and put on. Kate finally snapped out of her lust induced state and finished wiping her face off.

"It's admirable that you did that for those people, it's a difficult job but rewarding too I imagine. Or I would find it to be anyway." Kate stood and grabbed her bag.

"No you're right, it was. If acting hadn't taken off for me, I think I would still be doing something like what I did back then. I can see it in you Kate, your compassion for others. I can tell you find passion in everything you do. So much beauty in such a short woman."

"Hey!" Kate playfully shoved Avery towards the door. "I'm not that short."

"Oh?" Avery stepped close to Kate, her heart began racing but she didn't back down. She leaned forward ever so slowly and placed a kiss right at the top of Kate's freshly washed forehead. "The top of your head comes to my nose. You're like those little fuzzy creatures from rainbow brite. Sprites! You're a sprite."

"I'm baffled at how you go from flattery and flirty to making fun of me in the same sentence." Kate grinned at Avery. She liked it, this playfulness between them. There was something else about Avery that Kate was drawn to she knew that for sure. Everything between them just came so naturally in front of and behind the camera.

"I just expected you to be like my height, but it's cuter that you're short." Avery turned and opened the door "yeah. A sprite. Short cute and full of magic." Avery walked out and Kate stood there blushing. This flirty friendship was turning into a crush. Was there an eight year age gap between them? Yeah. Had it been ten years since she's been with a woman? Yeah and she broke Kate's heart and she only dated men after that because she knew she wouldn't fall in love that deep for a man and it would keep her publicist happy. All of that held Kate back and she was so tired of it. She would allow herself to have this crush and let whatever happen be it friendship or more. There was something definitely connecting between herself and Avery. She wouldn't make the same mistake like she did with Jim. He was a fun guy. But that's what he was and their connection never went beyond parties and sex. She married him too quickly and before Mia was even one Kate had to end it. Nothing would be between them besides the fun days and the only way they could continue was by coparenting. So of course pursuing this crush on Avery could be potentially doomed to crash like it did with Jim or it could be completely different, it could be amazing.

"Right. I've gotta stop overthinking this." Kate sent the thoughts to a screeching halt and walked out of their shared set trailer and went to grab a snack.