CHAPTER 24: AKIRA

When Deecon and I get to the city, we see the station up ahead. We are pulled into an alleyway, the undercover officer who led us to the bunker.

"What are you doing in town? You must stay hidden Ms. Knox, someone could recognize you under that cloth." He harshly whispers to us, angry at my rogue state.

"I need a message delivered to Sky. It's important. Could it be passed along?"
He looks around to make sure no one is listening.
"I could try to get it to Gambit but no guarantees. What's the message?"
He asks as I sling my pack in front of him. I unlatch it and give him the letter addressed to Edna Martin.

"She is one of the head researchers at my lab, please get it to her. I don't see any reply coming from her for the next couple weeks for this assignment."

He nods and puts the envelope in his pouch, he begins to walk out of the alley but I pull his arm back.
"We cannot reach the bunker before nightfall without an Indigeo. Do you know where I could find one for passage?"
He waves his head to the left to follow him, Deecon and I swiftly take order and follow him to the edge of the city.

He points to the East, "There are a couple caves two clicks that way that I have seen with an abandoned baby one, shouldn't be too hard to catch it."
Deecon snaps his head to him, "Catch one? You don't have one available to the Leader of Sky anymore?" He scoffs.
The officer steps closer to Deecon, trying to show him who is in charge on Lower. Deecon doesn't cower though, he has seen far worse than alpha tendencies in brutish men.

The officer gives a harsher tone, "I was lucky enough to find the first one for your passage here. Do you forget you are no longer on plushy Sky?"
Deecon takes a step closer to him, "Do you forget who your Leader is? The one you were sworn to protect?"
I can feel Deecon's irritation at the task and stop both of them from getting closer.
"It's fine Deecon, he is already getting our message to Edna."
I pull his arm to remove him from his stance.
We begin to walk away as Deecon says under his breath,
'How are we going to catch a wild Indigeo?'

Deecon, it's like you don't know who I am.

We arrive at the caves and I don't hear a sound. I step towards the cave and Deecon grabs my arm, "What are you doing? It could be dangerous."
I remove my glasses and pry his hand off my upper arm.

"You need to have faith that I can do this."

He nods, "I'm sorry, you're right."
I knew his apology was heavier than when he had no faith in my travels.
I step into the cave with my eyes glowing the way. The floor was covered in smaller animal bones, most likely the baby Indigeo trying to feed itself.
The further I go in, I start to hear breathing. Low hums echo in the cave.
I wasn't scared though, I was intrigued to find out how to approach it.
I turned a corner and saw it sleeping, it was half the size of the two that took us to the desert.
It was blue and green with flecks of yellow near its face.
Blood, I smell blood. I trace my eyes over the body and see a gash in its left arm. Looked like someone tried to capture it with a trap.

The glow from my eyes makes it stir in its slumber. An eyelid cracks, showing the large pupil.
I put my hands out and stopped walking towards it. The eye moves to my direction and it flings its body to the wall. It screeches at me, bearing its teeth.
I feel it, I feel its emotions as fear hits me instead of anger from it.
I crouched down to show I am no threat, it needed to trust me.
I take my right hand and place it against the moist ground.

My fingers glow as I give green grass the Indigeo's used to live in. It sniffs the air, smelling the freshness of it. I stretch it further so it can place its foot on it, to feel what his instincts used to camouflage in. I pull more of the moisture from the air and give a puddle for it to drink from. It places one foot down on the grass and I feel his fear begin to weaken.

It lowers its face near the puddle at first skeptical, only dipping its tongue into it. The water ripples as it drinks more, placing another foot off the wall and into the grass. The sudden movement has made its wound seep with more blood.
On my hands and knees, I creep closer while it is distracted by the sight of life.
I am only a couple feet from it and I hear the hiss it now makes, I look up to see it glaring at me.
I hold my hand out to its face, giving it some of my trust to not bite it off.

"I am not here to harm you." I whisper, my soothing voice makes his mouth close instead of baring its fangs.