Chapter 20: Apprension

Start from the beginning

"Morning, Tintin," she said, pulling her hand back behind her and hoping to not make him uncomfortable.

The boy was rigid. Haddock remained polite with a smile at Miss (Y/n) and smacked Tintin on the back of the arm.

"Good morning!" he greeted stiffly.

Snowy barked in circles around (Y/n) before running some distance behind her and rolling on his back for her to pet.

"I'm excited for today," (Y/n) said once Snowy was done and upright again.

"Ever been to England, Missy?" the Captain asked.

"No sir, but I'm sure we can have a lot more pranks there to commit, right?" she asked.

Haddock laughed aloud at this question.

"Isn't she a pickle, lad?" he asked Tintin quietly in his chuckles, smacking the boy hard on the back- or rather pushing- before answering, "I'm certain there will-"

And then that shove tipped the journalist forward and he tripped on Snowy, who yelped and fled away as Tintin tumbled over a plant, knocking it down and falling. (Y/n) was startled with a gasp, and leaned in to grab him under his arms. Her strength was tested as she almost regretted catching the boy due to his weight, but with her knees bent low, she was alright.

"Woah- Tintin-" She grunted strenuously as she attempted to stabilize him. "Geez- you're kinda heavy-"

Tintin's mind blanked in shock at the sudden fall but when he looked up to see his sudden love interest staring down at him, he then shot back up on his feet and twisted around to face her apologetically.

"Sorry! Sorry-" he forced, making her shake her head sympathetically.

"Well! I see everyone is ready and able now, mm?"

(Y/n) looked behind at her uncle and the pilot. Isaac was wearing posh attire again with his new monocle and a high-top hat to match.

"Oh, good morning, Uncle Issac," the girl said, walking up to him to receive a kiss on her hand.

"Likewise, pet. Now, if you will all follow me, it is that time we ate and headed west to our new location for the flagon. Pip-pip, now!" he commanded, spinning circles with his cane above and walking away.

(Y/n) looked back at the boys to smile. She gestured to them before strolling behind her uncle and Ace Wilder. Tintin and Haddock lingered behind until the others were unseen so that Tintin could have the chance to glare at the Captain.

Haddock fidgetted aloofly for a moment.

"She's strong, now isn't she?" he cooed without looking him in the eye.

This made Tintin scoff while shaking his head, disapproving.

"For heaven's sake, Captain," he began following the others, but right before glancing back at his best friend. "Give it a rest, why don't you?? It's pure nonsense!"

Once Tintin had left to be with the others (as well as little Snow) Captain Haddock forced a laugh to himself in denial and shook his head at the ground as he started to go.

"What a fool," he told himself. "Aye- blistering blue barnacles, illiterate pipsqueak can detect a thief by his shoe buttons but not a good heartthrob in his own soul. Ha! Wouldn't take a magician to see new besottedness in his eyes... what a sap!" Captain muttered to himself before deciding to jog after them.

~~~

It was a bit of a time muncher- the ride was- from the German pension to the Netherlands, the Hook of Holland, and then up on the next ferry where they took a rocking ride to the next destination dock for England.