Chapter 22

It was Neteyam's burial. I've been to a few, but not for someone I've known personally. A white stripe is painted on the member of each family member of the deceased. I was helping get the family ready. When Neytiri called me over. I sat down in front of her and she painted the mark on me. "Are you sure?" I ask. "You are one of us." Neytiri says simply.

My chest hurt so much I wasn't sure I would survive. Jake and Neytiri wore the traditional paint on their faces. Neytiri with a net like hair piece as well.

I rode with Kiri on her ilu. Tuk, Jake, and Neytiri were helping guide the leaf holding Neteyam. Little pink flowers trailing behind the family. I held onto Kiri's waist, using her to hide my body from the world. She kept her hand on mine. The boy Slider was with Lo'ak.

Neytiri and Jake shared a sad look before diving down with Neteyam in hand. Kiri slips off her ilu, and I follow. Holding onto her arm as we watch Neytiri and Jake let go of Neteyam. He slowly drifted towards the glowing ground. Neteyam get engulfed in the sea amenities.

—-

After the ceremony I leave for home. I was angry. I was so angry. I hated that I was angry. It's not fair. All for some stupid sky person. I resented Spider. I wasn't sure why. Maybe it was because he is a sky person, maybe it's because Neteyam died saving him.

I've never felt this overwhelming anger before. Why couldn't I keep my calm? I am not an angry person. Until something just switched that one day. I haven't felt my anger calm down since then. I laid in my house. Shaking from my emotions.

"Hi," I hear a soft voice say. I turn over and see Kiri. "Hi." I reply quietly. "You ok?" Kiri asks while walking towards me. "No..." I answer honestly. "I'm so angry and I don't know why." I sit up. "Why are you angry?" Kiri asks. How was it that she could see right through me?

"I'm just... angry with how everything turned out." I shrug. I would be honest, that it's about Spider... but Kiri cares deeply for that boy. Kiri lightly rubs my forearm. I can tell she doesn't believe me, but she stops asking questions.

"I just wish it was me."

—-
i fr don't like spider... also i cant believe i finished this story already i just started. i may update it sometimes with some little extra side stories fyi but for now it's complete