Chapter 21

We resurface and see Payakan with Jake and Lo'ak lying on his fin. "Ma Jake!" Neytiri says as she swims over. "Tuk." Lo'ak says softly. I struggle to swim over but I get there. "Dad!" Tuk says while crawling over to him. "Come here." Lo'ak says to Tuk while pulling her over Payakan's fin.

Neytiri hugs Jake. I basically fell into his fin. I feel the blood leaving me. I feel Lo'ak's hand meet my back. I wince slightly. Kiri gives me a side hug as well. With a little kiss on my forehead. "Thank you great mother." Kiri says while laying her head on mine.

I struggle to stay afloat in the water. I can barely hold onto Payakan's fin. I feel it slip out of my grip. I feel my body sinking. I try my hardest to stay calm. All I saw was a red streak following me. All I felt was peace. I hated that. I hated that I felt peaceful when I was dying.

As I fell further and further I saw hands reach for me. I feel my body getting pulled out of the water. When my head breaks the surface I gasp for air. Leaning on the bodies that saved me. "Dad, Mom! What do we do?" I hear a voice scream.

I try to stay conscious while my body leaks. "I'm tired." I mumble out. Kiri looks at me. "Please just stay awake. For me. I promise it'll all be ok soon." She says while putting her hand on my cheek.

"Promise?" I ask weakly. She lays her forehead on mine. "Promise." Her voice cracks and I swear I can feel a tear drop onto my cheek. I smile at her weakly.

I feel my body getting laid upon a rock. Neytiri sits next to my body. She grabs my hand. Her yellow eyes search my body. Jake crawls onto the rock as well. "What do we do?" Lo'ak asks frantically.

Jake puts his hand on my wound. "Apply pressure."

I look over and see Neteyam. I reach out and touch his arm, it's cold. "Neteyam?" I ask through tears. "Neteyam?!" I say louder. "Neteyam!" I scream while trying to get up. Multiple hands hold me down. "What happened?!" I scream with tears filling my eyes and throat.

"I'm sorry baby girl, he's gone." Jake says while he visibly holds back tears. "No, no, no..." I mutter with a mix of tears and blood running down my face. "No!" I scream as my face scrunches up in disgusting ways. "Neteyam!" I scream to the sky. I can't control myself.

I want to scream that I was right. That they should have never gone to save that kid. I knew I was just upset. I knew I was emotional and not thinking straight. I just physically put my hands on my mouth to stop myself from talking.

"Is this how I die?" I ask while weakly taking my hands off my mouth. "No, no. My sweet girl, you're not gonna die." Jake says. I try to weakly smile at him but fail. I grab Jake and Neytiri's hand. "Thank you for being my family." I say while bringing their hands up to my forehead. Tears staining my throat and cheeks. I try to smile, so the last memory of me isn't a scrunched up crying face.

"No... Y-you can't die. I can't lose anyone else!" Neytiri says between cries. I wanted to die. To be at peace. Yet seeing this sadness in their eyes broke me. I couldn't help but sob. "I-I can't.... I can't breathe..." I choke out between sobs. I felt my body shutting down.

It was a stupid idea. No way it would work, but just maybe it could. Kiri had a special connection with Eywa. Maybe that could help me? The worst that happens is I die in the water I was born in.

"Water." I choke out. "What?" Jake asks. He leans closer to hear me better. "Water." I croak out again. I look at Kiri. "The water." She must know exactly what I mean. "We need to get her into the water." Kiri says breathlessly.

I feel multiple hands grab me and lift me into the water. I grab Kiri's hand. "Like when we first swam." I did the same motion as back then. "The way of water... it gives life but it can also take it. We are a part of the water as we are to Eywa. You are a part of her." I say slowly to Kiri.

Kiri must understand what I'm saying. Her eyes open wider as she understands what she must do. "She'll be ok." Kiri looks at her family. "I'll help her." She says before diving into the water with my body.

Kiri lays my body on the ocean floor. She stands over me. Swaying her hands in a wave motion. I see the water light up and flow around us. Little fishes start to circle around us as well. Kiri's face lights up with awe as the water goes into my wound.

I wince and try to get away. Kiri gently holds me back down. I look down and see the light go inside my wound. I feel life given back to me as I see the wound start to close slowly. Kiri puts her hand on my cheek. Laying her forehead on top of mine.

Kiri was laying on me. I didn't mind. I weakly smile back at her. I feel her lips slightly kiss my forehead. Our eyes meet and she has a relieved smile on her. I look down and she follows my gaze. Seeing the previous wound being a slight scab now.

I felt a deep connection between Kiri and I. She literally brought me back to life. I wasn't sure what it meant, let alone that it could ever break. Our already deep connection somehow grew.

I weakly smile and Kiri helps me up. We swim up together hand in hand. I crawl up onto the rock. Neytiri engulfs me in a hug. I gladly return it. I don't feel the strength to move. I lay in Neytiri's arms. Jake pulls me into a hug.

Maybe I was apart of their family.

Without even thinking I crawled out of Neytiri and Jake's arms. I crawled to Neteyam's body. I just sat there. Looking at his lifeless body. Failing to hold back tears. I look to Lo'ak and Tsireya. They both were crying. I look down at Neteyam. I close his eyes. "It was wonderful knowing you." I say while squeezing his hand.

—-
kiri with her eywa healing powers??