Chapter 9

Neteyam is outside my home when I come back. "Are your cuts still bothering you?" I ask. He nods shyly. I nod toward the door. Gesturing for him to follow me. "Where are we going?" Neteyam asks. "To patch up your cuts." I say simply. "Aonung always made fun of you?" Neteyam asks out of the blue.

His question caught me off guard. "Um, yeah." I say slowly. We both walk into my house. I sat down and Neteyam sat across from me. "Why hasn't he stopped?" He asked me.

"As a kid it was mainly him. Even some adults. They would say 'go back to the forest.' 'You don't belong here freak.' 'You're not one of us.'" I grab a little cloth. "After a while it just didn't happen as frequently. But it still happened." I clean up the dry blood on him.

"You live alone, why is that?" Neteyam asks. I hum slightly. He's asking a lot of questions."I was taken in out of pity. A patchy baby that's never been heard of before, washing up on shore. No one wanted to be the monster who let the baby die. I was taken in but never had a family. No matter how much everyone tried to treat me like family. I always saw their hesitation." I shrug and put some ointment on his cut.

"No one wanted to be associated with me. A kind word here and there. A wave while I walk by. It was enough for people to think that they were being kind. No one felt the need to do more. Everyone else assumed that someone else would show my the kindness. It kept getting put off onto other and never even happened." I put down the cloth.

"But it's ok. I guess it happens." I shrug. "You get used to it." I lay down on my back. Staring at the ceiling. "My entire being is different from everyone. I've heard some people say that I was 'a product of the devil.'" I grab his hand. Playing with his extra finger. "What do you call this one?" I ask.

"A pinky." Neteyam replied. I laugh. "A pinky? That's a funny name." I couldn't stop laughing. I grab his hand and put it to my forehead. "Oh I'm sorry. The word pinky is funny." I laugh.

"It's ok." Neteyam laughs with a smile. "But you and your family have been the only people to ever treat me as normal." I give him eye contact. "And for that I, thank you." I lightly squeeze his hand.

I sit back up. "I'm sorry your father puts so much pressure on you." I say out of the blue. "I don't know how much this means coming from me, but I'm proud of you." I look over at Neteyam. "You stuck up for your family and that is very admirable." I say with a smile.

"Thank you." Neteyam says while looking down with a shy smile. "I'm gonna make some food... wanna eat?" I ask. Neteyam nods, "You don't have to be so quiet around me." I say while preparing the fish.

Neteyam silence was enough for to stop prying. "I'm just gonna make some cooked fish then wanna go hang on the beach or something?" I ask Neteyam. "That sounds nice, but why do you want to hang out with me?" Neteyam asks.

"Because you're my friend." I say whole throwing the fish at him. He catches it without even trying. "Nice catch." I say while I dig into my fish. "This is good." Neteyam says with his mouth full of fish. I laugh while covering my hand with my mouth. "I didn't get any of that."

Neteyam laughs and swallows, "This is very good." He repeats. "Why thank you." I say with a smile.

some friend building with Neteyam also kinda a filler/short chapter