Chapter 13

"Everyone our brothers and sister have returned!" Tsireya announces to the village while swimming on her ilu.

The tulkun came back today. My soul sister came back. Every time the tulkuns come back home I remember my early childhood. Ronal would always take me to see her tulkun. Roa. Ronal would tell Roa all about myself and how I was found.

It was a little thing. Yet it met the world to me. Ronal saw me as one of her own.

"Kiri!" I call to get her attention. She seems upset until she hears my voice. Her ears perks up. "I want you to meet my tulkun!" I wave over. Kiri doesn't move from her spot. I walk to the house. "You don't have to come if you don't want to but I think it would boost your mood." I say while holding Kiri's hands and lightly swaying them.

Kiri looks up to me with unsure eyes. "You can rest." I say while dropping her hands. "If you need me I'll be out there." I say while pointing to the water. Kiri must see the tulkun, because she quickly stands up. "I'll go with you." With that I grab Kiri's hand and drag her to my sister.

"She's my soul sister. Everyone bonds with one." I say while walking with Kiri. "I can't wait for you to meet her." I say with a smile. "Woah." Kiri stops in her tracks. I follow her gaze. The tulkun are jumping in and out of the water, doing little tricks in the air. They truly are magnificent. "C'mon." I say while tugging her hand. "Ok, ok." She says while laughing.

We swam to my tulkun. Meti. "I see you." is the first thing I say to Meti. "I see you, sister" Meti wails back. This is Kiri, my friend!' I tell Meti. I see her eyes smile as she calls back. 'I'm so happy for you!' she says sweetly. Kiri waves. I grab Kiri's hand and place it on Meti's fin.

I hug Meti next to her eye. 'I missed you so much' I signed. 'I missed you too' she calls back. As Kiri sits on Meti's fin I swim around her. When Kiri cannot see me I sign to Meti. 'Isn't she wonderful?' 'She is' Meti calls back.

'I really like her' I signed with a smile. Meti gave me a knowing look. I always told Meti about my crushes. 'I'm not sure yet,' I replied with an embarrassed expression. I can tell Meti smiles with how her eyes look. I smile back.

I swam back to Kiri. She's sitting peacefully on Meti's fin, playing with the water. I swim next to her and lay down on the fin. My upper half resting on the file. My lower half and legs lightly mov in the water. I lightly draw circles on Meti's fin. "She's amazing." Kiri says. "Isn't she?" I say.

"She's never seen me as a freak. Meti's only ever seen me as... me." I say with a shrug. "I see you." Kiri says. I look up at her in shock. She moves my wet hair out of my face and smiles softly. "I see you." She repeats. As we gaze into each other I feel my eyes water.

"I see you." I say in a low breathless voice. I scootch over closer to Kiri. Laying my lips on her thigh. Giving her a slight kiss. Then laying my head on her thigh.

We stayed in that position for a while.

Then I slide off and into the water. Trying to cool myself down. Kiri follows me. We swim with Meti. I tell her stories about how we met everyone. Meti listened and noticed my change.

I stand on top of Meti with Kiri. I see the Sully family and wave them over. The family swims over. I jump into the water and resurface. "This is Meti, my soul sister." I introduced the family to her. I sign the introduction of each member to Meti. "This is Jake, Neytiri, Lo'ak, Neteyam, and Tuk." I sign to Meti.

Tuk swims over and hugs Meti. "Hello." She says. I look over to the family. "She doesn't bit." I joke. I sign to Meti, "This is the closest thing I've had to a family ever. And they are also my people." Meti wails and squirts some water from her blow hole. "Let's swim." I say to Meti and the Sully's.

Meti dives under water. I hold onto her fin and swim with her. The Sully family swims with us. It was fun feeling like a family. We did loops under water. Flips and beautiful acrobatics.

It was a time for stories of love and hardship. For a while I felt that I only could share stories of hardship until I met Kiri.

——
tulkun <33