Chapter 6

The following morning Kala and I were in the stables with the other riders telling them about our encounter with the Light Fury the night before as we all did chores.

"What do you mean, gone?" Snotlout asked with crossed arms.

"Vanished! Into thin air." I said excitedly, then my attention was torn away as Fishlegs came back over to the area we all grouped up.

"What do you think?" He asked as he showed me the drawing of what he thought the Light Fury looked like on the card he was working on for her.

"Uh-uh. She looks more like Hiccup's dragon from, just stubbier earplates with smoother wings and tailfins and no dorsal plates on the sides of her head like we have." Kala said as she took in the drawing from where she sat beside me.

I nodded in agreement as I handed the card back to Fishlegs. "Yeah, just trace the body shape of the drawing you did of my dragon form and go from there."

"Okay, got it." Fishlegs said in understanding, then he rushed off again to correct the drawing.

"The gods must really be in your favor." Eret said with a chuckle.

"It would seem that way. They've been searching for the other Fury species for five years. To have one magically show up on their home turf seems too good to be true, yet it happened." Heather added rather surprised by all of this.

"I think this is a good sign. Hiccup and Kala have worked very hard to get where they are today. Maybe the gods decided to help them out a bit for once." Nanna reasoned with a smile as she passed by the group with a basket in hand.

Fishlegs then came back and gave the card to me again. "Something like this?"

Kala and I looked over the drawing and smiled, nodding at him in approval.

"Perfect. Now just color it white and you got yourself a Light Fury stats card." I said happily as I gave it back to Fishlegs.

Fishlegs smiled and nodded as he rushed off once again to finish up the drawing.

"You think she's still on the island?" Ruffnut asked curiously.

"Only one way to find out. Time to head back to the woods and see if we can find her." I said as I stood and lent a hand to my mate.

Kala smiled and gladly took my hand as she stood.

"Ah. Good idea!" Tuffnut said as he wrapped his arm over my shoulders, which earned an eyebrow raise from Kala and I. "A little privacy."

"Uhhh...Hiccup meant him and I would go look for her Tuff." Kala explained, but Tuffnut put a finger to her lips.

"Shh. It's boy talk! Which means no girls, including one such as yourself."

Kala glared at him with a huff. "Oh you did not just say that to me. I am going and that is that." She then let go of my hand and walked ahead of us.

I gave Tuffnut a look as I pushed him off of me and sped up to catch up to my mate.

"I say something wrong?" Tuffnut asked as he jogged after the two of us, but I turned around and glared at him.

"You're staying here. It'll be quicker if just Kala and I look for her. You'll just get distracted." I said with finality, then I caught up with Kala and walked side by side with her.

~~~HTLANF~~~

"I can't believe he actually said that! "Including one such as yourself" are you kidding me?! Ugh!" I ranted as Hiccup and I made our way back to the clearing we encountered the Light Fury in.

Hiccup was by my side with a soft smile. "He didn't really mean it, love. You know he didn't. It's just Tuffnut being Tuffnut. I'm sure he was gonna try and give me a weird pep talk on getting married or something."

I stifled a laugh and nodded. "Yeah, probably. And I suppose you're right. Maybe I overreacted just a bit."

Hiccup chuckled and kissed me. "Maybe just a bit."

After a couple minutes of walking, we reached the clearing. I split up from Hiccup to look for the Light Fury easier and went to the other side of the clearing to see if she was hiding somewhere close by, but her scent was only coming from the clearing.

I sighed and was about to turn back, but as I began to turn Hiccup shouted my name and I jumped and covered my heart as I caught my breath.

"What?!" I asked rather startled.

"Don't move a muscle." He said worriedly, then he looked about and grabbed a fallen stick and tossed it into the center of the clearing.

As the stick landed it caused a trap to be triggered and the speed it closed up caused Hiccup and I to fall to the ground. We looked at the trap in shock then locked eyes as fear took hold of the both of us. Someone was trying to hunt dragons on our island.

~~~HTLANF~~~

Once we were back in the village, Kala and I immediately went to the forge to talk with Gobber and the others. As we entered I placed the dart I found, just moments before I noticed the trap, on top of a barrel.

"Someone's here." I said rather on edge.

"Huh?" Gobber asked as Tuffnut took the dart and looked at it curiously.

"He managed to slip past our scouts and lay a trap in the woods." Kala said as she held her cloak around herself tightly for comfort.

Tuffnut then tossed the dart once he was bored of it and it punctured the box Eret was carrying as he came over to us.

"Ohohh!"

"Let me at 'em!" Gobber said as he prepared to go after the intruder and show them they chose the wrong island to mess with.

"Slow down Gobber. We should tell Valka first. See what course of action she wants us to take." I reasoned.

Eret then took the dart off the box and inspected it himself. "Yeah, I wouldn't advise even bringing this up to the chieftess, Hiccup. Or you flying anywhere for that matter. I know this handiwork. Grimmel the Grisly. Famous back where I'm from. The smartest dragon hunter I ever met. Well, next to me of course."

"Well, he can't be that smart. He left the trap unmanned." Kala said as she began to calm down from the startle we had earlier in the clearing.

Eret handed the dart to Heather so she could look it over as well as he let out a chuckle. "Nothing's accidental when it comes to old Grimmel. He lives for the hunt, to get inside the mind of his prey, to control its every choice. It's all a game to him."

"Well he doesn't know who he's playing with." Nanna said with a smirk as she crossed her arms.

"Yeah. We've dealt with his kind before and beat their asses." Snotlout added as he punched his hand smirking.

"Don't underestimate him. Mark my words, he'll be back." Eret warned.

"Then we'll be waiting for him." I said with determination.

~~~HTLANF~~~