Hundred-Eighteen

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Family is forged, not born

"Family is forged, not born."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

           RHYS WINNOWED us into the Illyrian camp

    RHYS WINNOWED us into the Illyrian camp. We wouldn't be staying long enough to be at risk—and with ten thousand Illyrian warriors surrounding us on various peaks, I believed it.

    We'd just appeared in the mud outside the little house when Cassian drawled from behind us, "Well it's about time." a shuffling sound, "You two finally done fucking like bunnies?"

    The savage, wild snarl that ripped out of Rhys was like nothing I'd heard, and I raised my brows. Rhys whorled to Cassian and I watched, wishing I had a snack.

    Cassian looked at him and laughed.

    "Hard ride?" The general tied back his hair with a worn strap of leather.

    Preternatural quiet now radiated from Rhys where the snarl had erupted a moment before. I arched a brow at the Illyrian, crossing my arms, "If Rhys doesn't beat you up, Cassian, just know that I will."

The general paused, pursing his lips before pointing a finger at me, "She can go," he said, "because she's fucking scary." he looked Rhys up and down, "But you—you stay."

Rhys's chest rose and fell with pants, his muscles taut as though it was taking every mount of restraint to keep himself from punching across the clearing.

Cassian crossed his arms as I had done, "Mating bond chafing a bit, Rhys?"

The High Lord said nothing.

Cassian snickered. "Dani doesn't look too tired. Maybe she could give me a ride—"

Rhys exploded.

Wings and muscles and snapping teeth, and they were rolling through the mud like piglets, fists flying, and—

I found it very, very entertaining. Cassian kicked Rhys off him, and both of them splashed the brown mud all around them.

They were a sight to behold, two Illyrian males fighting in the stones and slushy ground, panting and spitting blood. Cassian laughed as Rhys slammed a fist into his face, blood spraying. Cassian slung one right back at him and Rhys's head knocked to the side. I'd seen Rhys fight before, controlled and elegant, and I'd seen him mad, but never so...feral. It was funny.

"They'll be at it for a while." Mor said, leaning against the threshold of the house.

"Damn." I said, looking between them. Then calling out to Cassian, "I'm next, Cass! Prepare to get your ass beat!" and turned toward the house, behind me I heard the general shout, "Awe, fuck." the words quickly drowned away by the grunts and growls. I laughed as a reply as I made my way up to Mor.

"Welcome to the family, Dani." She said.

And I thought those might have been the best words I'd ever heard.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The four of us winnowed back to Velaris after Cassian and Rhys had finally stopped pummeling each other after an entire hour of beating each other up.

The sun had barely set as Rhys and I walked hand in hand into the dining room of the House of Wind, and found Mor, Azriel, Feyre, Amren, and Cassian already seated. Waiting for us.

As one, they stood.

As one, they looked at me.

As one, they bowed.

It was Amren who said, "We will serve and protect."

They each placed a hand over their heart—even Feyre.

Waiting—for my reply.

I sent a scolding look in Rhys's direction, the prick hadn't warned me. I wondered if my words were supposed to be heartfelt, spoken from a place without agenda. So, I voiced them.

"Thank you." I said, "But I'd rather you were my friends before serving and protecting so we can hurry up and get drunk."

Mor said with a wink, "We are, and we most definitely will. But we still serve and protect."

I smiled at them. At my family.

"Now that we've settled that," Rhys drawled from beside me, "can we please eat? I'm famished." Amren opened her mouth with a wry smile, but he added. "Do not say what you were going to say, Amren." Rhys gave Cassian a sharp look. Both of them were still bruised—but healing fast. "Unless you want to have it out on the roof."

I raised my hand to volunteer. Then promptly lowered it when Rhys gave me a pointed look—though laced with amusement.

Amren clicked her tongue and instead jerked her chin at me, "I heard you grew fangs in the forest and killed some Hybern beasts. Good for you, girl."

It was quite fun actually.

"She saved his sorry ass is more like it." Mor said, filling her glass of wine. "Poor little Rhys got himself into a bind.

I held out my own glass for Mor to fill, "He does need unusual amounts of coddling." I turned to my mate with a beaming smile, "How many times have I saved you now? Once, twice, three times? You're losing your touch, Rhys."

Mor and Cassian's eyes widened in amusement, looking between Rhys and I as if to see what he would do.

They needn't worry, Rhys was my bitch now.

I had the urge to pat his head.

Azriel choked on his wine, and I met his gaze—warm for once. Soft, even. I felt Rhys tense beside me and looked away from the shadowsinger.

A glance at the guilt in Rhys's eyes told me he was sorry. And fighting it. So strange, the Fae and their mating instincts. So at odds with their ancient traditions and learning.

We left for the mortal lands soon after dinner. Mor carried the orb; Cassian carried her, Azriel flying close with Feyre in tow, and Rhys held me tightly, his arms strong and unyielding around me. We were silent as we soared over the water.

As we went to show the queens the secret they'd all suffered so much, for so long, to keep.

A/N: Inner circle things ofc

A/N: Inner circle things ofc. And just Dani calling Rhys her bitch as per usual.

Also, enjoy this lil short chapter because they're boutta get long