I'd taken a quick bath just minutes before, scrubbing off the paint in places I hadn't even known was possible to smear it, and my hair was still drying as I flung open the door to the blast of cool air.

But Mor wasn't leaning against the threshold.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    I stared at Rhys.

    He stared at me.

    His cheeks were tinged pink with cold, his dark hair ruffled, and he honestly looked freezing as he stood there, wings tucked in tight.

    And I knew that one word from me, and he'd go flying off into the crisp night. That if I shut the door, he'd go and not push it.

    His nostrils flared, scenting the paint behind me, but he didn't break his stare. Waiting.

    Mate.

    My—mate.

    This beautiful, strong, selfless male...Who had sacrificed and wrecked himself for his family, his people, and didn't feel it was enough, that he wasn't enough for anyone. Azriel thought he didn't deserve someone like Mor. And I wondered if Rhys...if he somehow felt the same about me. I stepped aside, holding the door open for him.

    I could have sworn I felt a pulse of knee-wobbling relief through the bond.

    Rhys took in the room, the paint spilled on the floor and the canvas in the corner. He widened his eyes, and I knew it was from surprise. He stepped closer, "You painted."

"Please. You can't even call it that."

He blew out a soft breath, stepping closer to the canvas that held my newest painting in the corner of the room. His brows were raised. "It's a beautiful goat." Rhys said.

    "That's Azriel."

    "O-oh." he sputtered with raising brows, turning back to the canvas with wide eyes. "It...looks just like him."

    I waved him off with a tilt of my lips, "Spare me." I said, "I know I'm a terrible artist, I just got bored."

    He chuckled a little, walking over to the canvases stacked near Azriel's, he began flipping through them, "Amren, Mor, Cassian..." he said, "Where am I?" he looked up.

    I arched a brow, "Be honest, Rhys, do you really want to look like one of my farm animals?" I thinned my lips in amusement. "I was granting you mercy."

    "I thought mercy wasn't your strong suit?"

    I shrugged, meeting his violet eyed stare. "I made an exception." his lips quirked up slightly, and he looked away not a moment later. As though he was scared, a small smile would scare me. Chase me off. I didn't blame him...I was a bit...skittish, at times. But I would very much like to change that.

    I glanced toward the shut door, "You flew here."

    He nodded, "Mor wouldn't tell me where you'd gone, and there are only so many places that are as secure as this one. Since I didn't want our Hybern friends tracking me to you, I had to do it the old-fashioned way. It took...a while."

    "You're—better?"

    "Healed completely. Quickly considering the Bloodbane. Thanks to you."

    The Bloodbane, right. The fact I had healed him. Gods, I hadn't even thought about the Suriel's words and what that part of it had meant. I had been so focused on avoidance I had completely forgotten. The blood of a Goddess.