C H A P T E R 19

ELIJAH
••••••••••••

Dante gives another annoying long sigh and let's his head fall back against the couch.

I've been busy with work for the last hour and a half while Dante pouts on the couch. I haven't been able to concentrate much because of this.

When he let's out another sigh, I take the nearest object on my desk - which is a stapler and raise it to throw at him but he quickly raises his hands and shakes his head. "Okay sorry. I'll stop." He says and I put down the stapler. I finally go back to my work, having some quiet.

After about ten minutes of silence, I sigh and close my eyes for a minute as my head starts to ache. I rub my temples before looking back at Dante.

He's still pouting with a frown on his face. I place everything down and lean back in my chair, facing him. "What's wrong this time and why couldn't it wait until after I was done working?"

"It's about Nicole." He reasons.

"I already know that. Who else would you pout over?" I raise my brows and he nods in agreement.

"That's true. I just need to know if I'm being unreasonable or not." His frown deepens as he continues, "I spend the night in her room last night and I think it was around midnight when I heard some shuffling and then the sound of the door opening and closing again. When I realized that Nicole wasn't next to me, I kind of panicked. I ran to the door and luckily found her on her way down the stairs. I asked her where she was going and she said that she was having trouble sleeping and was going to the gym. She told me to go back to sleep and at that time I only nodded and went back to bed because I was already so tired." He rambles and sheepishly rubs the back of his neck.

I nod my head and say nothing because I know he's not done yet and always has way more to say.

He gets up from the couch and starts pacing around the office. "I went to bed but as I layed there, I came to the realization that I didn't see her with her usual gym bag. She had her small backpack in her hand but I didn't question it much and then fell asleep again because I was so damn tired..." he chuckles sheepishly. "Anyways, this morning I woke up around five am - the same time she came back."

He shakes his head and starts running his hands through his hair. "Where the hell was she all night? It sure wasn't the gym because she wasn't even covered in sweat. I questioned her ofcourse but she only brushed me off and told me that she went to meet up with a friend."

He stops pacing and looks over at me, clearly frustrated. "She lied to me." He looks down at his hands, his frown deepening.

"She wouldn't cheat on me ,right? Elijah... she wouldn't do something like that right?" He asks desperately.

I don't even have a chance to answer  when he starts pacing again. "She got a bit angry when I asked her if the friend she was meeting up with was a guy, which is understandable - I'm questioning her loyalty - but how could I not? I not only found out this morning that this isn't the first fricken time that she has gone out that late." He fists his hair as he breaths heavily. "No she wouldn't cheat on me. Nope." He gives me a tight smile and shakes his head.

"No she wouldn't." I say and he nods, not really looking all that convinced. "Did she tell you who this friend of hers were?"

"No. She stormed out of the room when I asked her if she was cheating on me. I know I shouldn't just assume but I'm just... scared. I don't want to lose her."