13. I Understand

"Are you sure you're ready?" Asher asked.

"Why are you asking? You're the one that made me go." Mia scoffed.

They were still parked in the driveway of their house and she sensed that Asher was stalling. "Just take me to school so I can get this over and done with."

"Do you want a smoothie first?" He asked. "I'll take you to get one then I'll take you to school."

"Sure." She replied.

With that, Asher drove off down the street.

"Strawberry, right?" He asked when they found themselves in the drive thru of their local cafe in town.

"Hmm," she said.

"You know what? Fuck it, we're going to park and drink inside."

"I have school though." She said.

"I know but I don't really care." He replied.

"Why? You made me get up to go."

"Not really. I just wanted you to get out of your room. The rest was for Chris' sake." He said as he parked his car. "It was all for show." He whispered the last part but Mia could hear the smirk in his voice.

"Oh." She simply said as the both of them got out of the car.

"What can I do for you two?" The cashier asked when they were up.

"Medium strawberry smoothie and the usual for me." He said.

"Chocolate shake?" She asked.

"Yes," he replied.

"For here or to go?"

"Here, please." He said.

"Alrighty, I'll bring your orders to your table soon, Asher." She said.

"Thanks, Andrea." He said with a smile.

When Mia and Asher were sat at a booth by the window she let her questions come out.

"Why didn't you just take me back to school?" She asked.

"So you want me to take you to the school?" He questioned.

"No, I don't. I'm just wondering why you lied to Chris? He's going to be pissed when he finds out."

"Do you really care if Chris gets pissed off? He's always mad anyways. Besides it won't affect you. It'll affect me. He was going to just let you play hooky in bed anyways. At least I let you get out of that room."

"I didn't want to leave it." She said.

"So you want me to take you back to your room then? Sneak you in through the window so they don't catch my lies?"

"No, I'll stay out as long as you don't leave me alone."

"I won't leave you alone, don't worry."

"No, Asher, I mean it. You can't leave me alone at all. Even if it's just a second." She said.

"I know the conditions you have and I won't leave you. M, I promise, I won't leave you at all."

"Ok, I'll hold you to that." She said.

"What you don't believe me?" Asher asked.

"I believe you, I just don't know if I should."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" He asked.

"Nothing. It doesn't mean anything because it's just a bunch of jumbled words with no meaning."

"Okay, then." He said, his eyebrows raised. "Do you want to talk to me about anything?"