Chapter 7- Lies or Truth?

"What?"

Caleb looked behind him nervously and turned back to me.

"Ok, I know this is going to sound weird. And I know that he's your friend but that's why I'm telling you. The others don't believe me"

Yeah, I was starting to see why.

"Damien isn't what he seems. He's evil. I can't explain it but you have to trust me. He's not here to be your friend. You can't trust him!"

Wow, he really was going crazy. Damien was my friend. He wasn't evil!

"You're crazy!"

"Please, you have to believe me! You're in danger!"

He grabbed my arm and just as I was about to shake him off, he gasped.

"I knew it"

Before I could say anything, he let go of my arm and ran off.

I stood in the class, shock keeping me still. He knew. He was a Creden. And he knew I was an Angel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't see Caleb for the rest of that day. He didn't show up the day after that either. Or the day after that. One week later and he was still a no show. Rumours had begun spreading about how he had taken drugs and got suspended or that he had gotten a girl pregnant and run away. None sounded like something he would do.

Monday lunch and I was sitting with Kathy and Gael under a big eucalyptus tree. The
native Australian trees have such a gorgeous smell to the air and give a relaxed sense to the evening. But inside, I was anything but relaxed.

Daemons had been known to find and kill credens as they did Angels and the fact that Caleb hadn't been seen since last Monday, was starting to get me worried.

"Hey, where do you think Caleb is?" I asked casually. Hopefully my voice didn't betray my worry.

Kathy sleepily opened her eyes and looked at me.

"Not sure. Don't really care to be honest. He was an arse to you for no reason. Maybe he realised that and took a break. Or maybe he left for good. I personally don't care"

She closed her eyes and layback down.

Slowly, I reached out and opened myself to the emotions in the courtyard. Love, jealousy, happiness, laziness. Layers and layers of emotions and feelings washed over me. I focused on Kathy and soon, the other emotions dulled.

She was mainly happy, relaxing in the sun. She had no homework and was revelling in the fact. I focused and dug deeper. I knew it. Despite her words, Kathy was starting to slightly worry for Caleb. After all, he had been her friend since year 8 and it wasn't like him to get up and leave and not even ring.

I left her mind and put my walls back up. I knew it. There was definitely something wrong and I was going to find out what it was.