22 || puppy love

┌───── ∘°∘♡∘°∘ ─────┐

puppy love
𝐜𝐡𝐫𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐥𝐨
chapter twenty two

└───── °∘∘♡∘∘° ─────┘

nick paced up and down the veterinarian floor while matt and chris sat idly waiting as well as sabrina and valeri. in the midst of the arguing, trevor had managed to get some of the brownies they made which is heavily toxic. he threw most of it up but they still felt safe to take him into the hospital.

the doctor came out and spoke to the five of them about his condition. "he'll be fine, just a little out of it from the dizziness that comes with the chocolate," she explained. "the medication is strong to get it out of his system and he'll only take it for a few days, meaning for a little bit now and a little after, his body is going to be very weak,"

at a time like this, it would be almost selfish for chris or valeri to really argue. especially while they all were going through a tough night. the doctor lead them through a set of white double doors which brought them to the patient room where trevor was laying down. he looked okay but you could tell he didn't feel great. "hi buddy," nick cooed. "you feeling a little better?" he asked the dog. the others stood around the table.

valeri hesitated to pet the dog but gave in and met eyes with chris who was staring at her, as if she wasn't supposed to care now that she's not in a relationship with him.

the room was quiet, not totally silent but quiet. matt was in the other room on the phone with his parents, explaining what's going on while the others waited for the doctor to return with their instructions for the next few weeks.

when she did, chris wrote down what they needed to do on his phone, thanked the woman and left with the others. "chris," valeri called out behind him. the others looked back as well but made eye contact signaling to leave them alone. "we didn't finish our conversation,"

"what is there really to finish?" he sighed.

"chris, we got interrupted because your dog was sick. we still didn't even talk, we were just yelling nonsense-"

"we wouldn't be arguing if it was nonsense. we both know we meant what we said," he explained. he kept walking on and only stopped when she began to speak again.

"i meant every word. it's crazy how you'd think i would take it back right now," she said.

he turned around to her. "it's crazy how you're still trying to argue over this," he chuckled.

"no, i am trying to argue over this. because from your past relationships it seems like you're not great at communicating," she laughed back. "chris, i really don't want to argue about this here or really want to finish it," she admitted. 

"but-"

"chris, you chose her. and that's fine, whatever, i'll move on," she began. "but you have to accept that choice for yourself," she spoke. "you can't expect me to be okay with it, because i know i'm not. but at the same time, no amount of 'i'm sorry' is really going to change the fact that you switched up. so make the choice, be with cynthia, and end this," she finished. 

"because if you even wanted a relationship right now with me, you would have picked me. there, we finished it," she continued walking away into the car. she sat in the back next to sabrina, nick and trevor while the two other brothers sat in front of them. the car was mostly quiet but sabrina did try to lighten the mood by playing music even though she didn't let a song finish because she was indecisive. 

by the time they arrived at the triplet's house, it was pretty much decided that the night was over so sabrina and valeri took their things and went home. "are you fucking kidding me?" matt asked rubbing his face. not only was he annoyed at his brother but he was genuinely saddened because of his dog. "you couldn't just do us all a favor and pick valeri?" he half joked. "you realize that you've made a mistake right, like this doesn't make sense? you literally went to another state because of what she did, and now you're all 110% into her to the point that you're ending one relationship to get with her?"

chris sat with trevor silently. "can you answer me?" he said loudly.

"if you're so pissed off about valeri being single why don't you date her!" he yelled back. chris bounced his leg and looked straight ahead into the wall. for the most part, nick was silent but this was enough. 

"we all have a reason to be pissed. because of your idiot ways of doing basically everything, we have lost a friend until you clean this all up. because i really don't care who you date, you're my brother and i want you to be happy but there were plenty, and i mean PLENTY of other ways that valeri could have found out, like sitting down and talking to her like everyone else would do?" nick finally spoke. 

"and on top of this, just so you're aware, i really liked valeri and we've had plenty of important conversations so even if you're not going to be cool with her, i will be. because she's going through a really hard time right now that you cannot understand," nick ran his hands through his hair. chris still hadn't said anything. 

"look, i know you're my brother and i love you but man, you have got to start doing things differently when it comes to girls... i can't help but feel a little bad.." matt said. he felt that what he said was harsh and wanted to walk it down a bit. he as well as nick also clicked with valeri rather quickly, and he really liked her as a friend. she's been helpful with his anxiety every once in a while and it's nice to have someone who understands those things since her little sister has dealt with it. 

"i feel bad too..." chris said before they walked away. "she wasn't supposed to find out like that..." 

"can i ask you something, and you have to be honest?" nick said, petting trevor. "did you call her to tell her you wanted her back or did you call her to end it," 

chris was back to his silence again. 

"i called her to tell her i wanted her back," 

***

wow... just wow christopher.