Chapter 17

Our time passed quickly here.

Out of all the tribes we stayed with, the Anauri was the longest so far. Almost three weeks we have been here, and all of us were dreading saying goodbye.

That night, as we all parted to our separate tree houses, we sat in a circle much like we did before. Meilai hummed and finished her necklace she had been working on.

Ash was quietly eating his meal before his scheduled unlinking per Max's orders. He wasn't as mad as he was at the beginning of his restriction. He even apologized for snapping at me, which I waved away.

"My Lodis Flower talks me to sleep every night..." Ash said with a dreamy look. "An he makes sure I eat all my meals on time. Max is happy with my progress and says if I stick to my restriction, it can be dropped."

I grinned. "I'm glad Ash. We all want you happy and healthy."

Meilai hummed in agreement while she put the finishing touches on her cute necklace.

"Who is that for?" Ash asked with a smile.

"My mom. She used to tell me about this place. When she would travel here, she would admire the beauty of the land. An she adores the bone river. She has never had a necklace from here, so I wished to give her one."

"That's really sweet!" I gushed.

I loved how close Meilai was to her mom. It made me miss Mary. She was the closest thing I ever had to a mom on earth. Of course, the All Mother would always be my true mother, but Mary would always hold a special place with me.

I looked over at a silent Zidii. She was pasting tiny bones to a large skull that she had already painted beautiful intricate designs on with a steady hand.

She was immersed in her work.

Meilai looked over at it and nodded. "That's super cool, Zidii. Is it a souvenir?"

Zidii gave us a determined look. "No. It is my token."

I raised a knowing eyebrow. Having heard about the giving of a skull helmet at the beginning of the Spirit Walk.

"Is that for Su?" I asked with rasing excitement.

Ash and Meilai's widened. Zidii blushed and continued to work.

Ash squealed and slapped his food down. "I have 8 minutes left. Spill girl!"

"The unmated will present Sugga with masks for him to wear during the walk. I am making one to give him. They say it helps put you on a Maze Masters radar....to become his mate..."

Ash,Meilai, and I screamed in union. "Eeeeppppp! I'm so excited. I'm bout to tell Max now I am not missing the Spirit walk. I don't give a fuck! I have to watch this. An see my girl Zidii bag her Man!"

We heard the voices of the other guys getting close and Zidii squealed and hid her skull under a blanket.

We all took on innocent expressions when they walked in. Lodis eyed us confused.

"You were just squealing now you look as if your hiding something."

Ash jumped to his feet and hugged Lodis's waist. "It was talk amongst just us...My Lodis flower. Nothing serious."

Lodis eyes flashed with fire as Ashton called him that adorable nickname. The fire lord immediately let it go, and he walked Ash out of his usual hut to bring him to his. Ever since Ash started linking off, Lodis would have his body lay by him so he could watch over it overnight.

It was totally adorable.

Sugga let us know he was called to help cleanse the river of lone souls. We waved him away, and Zidii sighed in relief.