Part 67: Jinx (3 Years Ago)

Start from the beginning

I nod. I've killed five people by now. It wasn't that bad. They all deserved it. And I haven't had a mission in forever— I've been building weapons for the war since my third pneumatics epiphany. I need a new view.

Silco holds out a map with a big "X" on it. "The Firelight leader is expected to be at this location today at noon, with no more than two colleagues. You may bring Sevika along if you—"

"No way."

"A solo mission, then. Very well. I would prefer that you be conspicuous about this one. "

I study the map. "Can I blow them up?"

"If you'd like. And leave your sigil."

"Whoo-hoo!" I tuck the map into my pouch. "So who's the leader?"

Silco flips over the photograph and slides it toward me. "They wear a mask in the shape of an owl. It's equipped with a voice modifier. They often carry an ax. That is all we've been able to gather, but it should be enough."

I still cross my fingers when I look at the photo.

Just come with me, and we'll figure it out. Nobody can hurt you at home.

You think I need you to come barge in here and be my fucking savior? Silco is my family, and you are no one, but if you want me to, I'll make you my enemy.

I didn't know he was the leader. Why would he be the leader? He's only sixteen. But so am I, and I'm Silco's right hand.

"Is something the matter?" Silco asks.

I jump, snagging the photo. "Nope! I'm gonna go get ready."

"Be sure to check in when the mission is finished."

I get on the desk, kiss his cheek, and run all the way to my workshop.

"Uh-oh," Mylo sing-songs. "Looks like trouble." ("Trouble trouble trouble.")

"There's no trouble," I say in my head, picking up a crayon to scratch against the floor.

"I don't know, Jinx," says Claggor. "You really think you can do it?" ("Do it. Do it. Do it.")

"Why wouldn't I be able to do it?" The crayon snaps in two. I lob both halves into the trench and pick up a new one.

I told Silco when me and Ekko met. Vaguely. I said I saw "someone I knew" who was in a gang called the Firelights. They were smaller back then, and I hadn't heard of them until Ekko said it, but Silco had. He told me it was okay if I felt jarred, but that I'd done the right thing: I'm a new person, and Powder's acquaintances aren't Jinx's. And he said the Firelights were dangerous, and that's turned out to be super true. They think Zaun shouldn't happen. They're bootlickers. I don't know why Ekko wanted to be one, let alone to lead them.

"Oh yeah?" says Mylo. "You sure you don't know?"

We have to stay together. You're my best friend, and after Benzo and Vi—

"Yes," I snap. "It makes no sense. No one who knows what's good for them is gonna be a stupid Firelight."

Mylo gives me a mocking laugh. I close my eyes against the flashes.

I stuff my bag with bombs and grab Pow-Pow, which I've just updated the spin mechanism on. I did more painting on it too. The weapons for the war have to be neutral, but I'm allowed to decorate my personal ones now.

Actually, Silco's completely given up on keeping me hidden at this point, except for when I go to Piltover to steal. Probably because I've never gotten hurt in a fight. I used to wear a bulletproof vest and a cloak when I went out, but the vest hides the cute tops I spend so much time making, and my braids reach my thighs now, so it's hard to keep them tucked inside the cloak. Plus I like feeling them whip around me when I fight. Even though I'm scrawny, people almost never bug me when I walk through the streets. They're starting to know my name.