(26) Kenny's Birthday Gets Ruined

I try not to think about what Five said. Or what I had felt in that moment. My feelings aren't important, saving the world will always come first. It seems Dad just ingrained that into all of us.

I walk back over to the group. Everyone is standing up, I can feel the anxiety in the air. I note that Allison has returned, but no Luther. Maybe his apology wasn't enough? Or maybe if I'm lucky, Allison rumored Luther into punching himself until he was knocked out cold in some alley. Wouldn't that be great?

Just as I stop walking to stand with the rest of them, the ding-a-ling of someone entering the bowling alley goes off. I can hear the heavy footsteps walking towards us. I guess a girl can dream, huh?

Luther stops walking, and looks us up an down. He immediately notices Five's absence. He groans, "All right, where's Five??"

"He left." Diego answers, I can tell by his tone that he's just as peeved as Luther.

Annoyance flashes across Luther's face. "Oh, for the love of. . . Where'd he go?"

Four sets of eyes turn to me, all thinking the same thing. I narrow my eyes, my mouth slightly opening in an offended expression.

"Do I look like his assistant?" I ask, sarcasticly.

Luther tilts his head, as if considering it. "Well, if anyone here knows. . .It would be you." He accuses me.

Now I'm even more offended. "What's that supposed to mean?!" I say, defensively.

"All he's saying is that you two have been looking real close lately." Deigo explains. "Which is a long ways away from the both of you being at each other's throats like usual."

My head slightly nods in agreement. He has a point, Five and I haven't been arguing as much as usual. But that doesn't mean we're close!

"So, what? We're getting along for once in our God damn lives. The world's about to end, miracles happen." I roll my eyes, the sarcasm coming to me easily.

"Even you don't believe that."

Well, fuck you. My eyes snap to Diego, and I glare at him. "I do believe that, because Five and I have temporarily put aside our differences and are now friends. Definitely not family because I was never a true Hargreeves in the first place."

My comment is met with silence. No one is looking at me, this deafening kind of shame falls over us. . .I slowly realize just what I said.

I did it again didn't I? When someone gets a little too close I feel the need to defend myself. With sarcasm and snappy comments. I always go too far don't I? My mouth just moves on its own.

"Well," Klaus breaks the defeaning silence. "That almost-kiss a few minutes ago says otherwise~"

My eyes widen, Klaus. "Oh, my-What the hell, Klaus??" My cheeks slightly tingle as I stare at him in bewilderment. Everything comes rushing back to me. It was so much easier to ignore if I didn't acknowledge it!

Confusion is blatantly displayed on the rest of the Umbrella Academy's faces. You could tell they didn't know what to think.

Except for Diego. He's looking smug as hell with a little I told you so expression on his face.

Have I told you how much I hate this family?

I am so going to kill you later, Klaus

"Fine," I say, "I do know where Five is, but I don't have the patience nor the time to explain everything. The concert starts in 30 minutes, let's go."

"All right," Diego goes along with it, seemingly satisfied with the humiliation I just endured. He looks to Luther. "What's the plan?"

We all look to Luther. Waiting with bated breath for our amazing Number One to tell us his brilliant plan.

"Well," Luther starts. "I think that, uh. . ." He paused again. "We go to the Icarus theater." He repeats slowly.

Diego blanches. "That's a location. . .not a plan." He points out.

Allison sighs, and looks away. Disappointment washes over everyone.

Except for me. I never expected anything from him in the first place.

Diego takes a quick step forward, getting right in Luther's face. "What?" He asks. "Is that all you got?"

Luther stays silent.

"Look, you wanna be Number One, fine, but you're gonna have to get us on the same page. Because right now, we're all over the place."

Luther sighs. "You're right, we need a plan."

As soon as those words leave Luther's mouth several masked people barge into the boweling alley. Guns up, they start shooting at us.

I guess the meeting with the Handler didn't go as planned. Five walked right into a trap. I'm guessing her plan was to separate us, from the rest of the Umbrella Academy.

She wanted to take the rest of them out without us getting in the way, what she seems to forget is I'm not one for listening.

"Get down!" I yell. We all hide behind tables holding bowling balls.

"Who the hell are these guys?!" Diego shouts over the sound of gun fire.

"Maybe there here for Kenny's birthday!" Klaus offers.

"No, I'm pretty sure there here for us!" Luther yells.

Well, isn't that to bad, these guys are really missing out on an epic birthday party.

Diego seems to get fed up with hiding. He stands up and throws a knife at the masked shooters.

I can't really see anything, or what happens, but the bowling alley lights turn off, and disco lights turn on, Saturday Night starts playing.

What a fitting song.

A fight ensues as we all, (still taking cover because we're not that dumb) grab whatevers near us and start throwing it at the men. I don't know why we thought this would stop armed men, but we tried anyway.

Luther grabs some bowling balls, Klaus s birthday cake, I'm pretty sure it's Kenny's. While Diego sticks with his knives.

To my surprise we manage to incapacitate a few of them, but eventually we realize our current method of throwing whatever we find, isn't going to work.

"They're blocking the exit!" Klaus yells.

"So, what's the plan now, Luther?" Diego asks.

Though not for me the question seems to spark something in me. My mind goes through a million scenarios of how this could play out. We need to get out of here, and fast, we don't have time to fight them. I rack my brain for a way out.

Bowling Alley's, what do I know about Bowling Alley's?

And then it hits me. The only way out without anyone getting injured.

"The lanes! Let's go!"

Thankfully they're not a bunch of idiots. They catch on to my thought process. We all take off towards the lanes running down them, hoping not to get shot down. We slide into the pins and down the holes. My idea worked, we got out safely.

After arriving in the back room behind the lanes we all bolt out the back door as fast as possible.

~☂︎~ 

I'm back! Didn't forget about this story, just a lot of shit going on right now.
-S.J.