ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ 12ᴛʜ ʜᴏᴜʀ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ᴅᴀʏ ᴏꜰ ᴏᴄᴛᴏʙᴇʀ 1989, 43 ᴡᴏᴍᴇɴ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ɢᴀᴠᴇ ʙɪʀᴛʜ. ᴛʜɪꜱ ᴡᴀꜱ ᴜɴᴜꜱᴜᴀʟ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴀᴄᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɴᴏɴᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇꜱᴇ ᴡᴏᴍᴇɴ ʜᴀᴅ ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴘʀᴇɢɴᴀɴᴛ ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʏ ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ʙᴇɢᴀɴ. ꜱɪʀ ʀᴇɢɪɴᴀʟᴅ ʜᴀʀɢʀᴇᴇᴠᴇꜱ, ᴇᴄᴄᴇɴᴛʀɪᴄ ʙɪʟʟɪᴏɴᴀɪʀᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇʀ, ʀᴇꜱᴏʟᴠᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟᴏᴄᴀᴛᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀᴅᴏᴘᴛ ᴀꜱ ᴍᴀɴʏ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇꜱᴇ ᴄʜɪʟᴅʀᴇɴ ᴀꜱ ᴘᴏꜱꜱɪʙʟᴇ.

ʜᴇ ɢᴏᴛ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇᴍ.

~☂︎~

17 YEARS AGO

"In five, four, three, two..."

"This is Jim Hellerman, reporting live for Channel 2 News outside of Capital West bank at Main and Sixth. A group of heavily armed men stormed the bank not three hours ago and took an unknown number of hostages."

The bank's alarm was blaring. A robbery was taking place.

"Hey, get them behind the counter!" A bulky man in a green coat yells before turning back to his wally talky. "Now you've put me in a position where I gotta do something I don't wanna do. Hmm?" He turns it off and yells. "Shit!"

Two girls in school uniforms approach the man. One girl is skipping, while the other is reading a book.

"Hey, get back with the others." He says after he notices them.

"I heard a rumor." The curly-haired girl says.

"What? What did you say?" The guy questions.

She leans toward the man. One hand cupping her face. "I heard a rumor that you shot your friend in the foot." Her voice echoes, and the man's eyes go hazy. He cocks his gun and points it toward another robbers foot.

"Hey, dude." The other guy cautions.

The man shoots the other one in the foot. "What the hell?" He groans from the pain and tries to shoot the guy that just shot him, but ends up slipping and shoots the window right by him. The three people under the window scream.

"We just heard shots from inside the bank. It's uncertain if any hostages have been harmed in that. There's some movement on the roof. Possibly law enforcement."

A blond boy in a uniform crashes threw a window on the ceiling, landing behind the bank counter. He starts fighting with the two men guarding the hostages behind the counter before he picks one of them upwith superhuman strength and tosses him threw a window.

"Looks like one of the armed robbers has been thrown from the bank."

~☂︎~

"Guns are for sissies. Real men throw knives!" Diego exclaims as he runs across the bank and throws two knives. The knives curve and hits a man in the shoulders.

"How old are you again?" I roll my eyes at Diego.

I'm standing in a corner of the bank reading a book. I know, I know, it's dangerous to read a book right now. But I mean come on, it's a really good book!

A five-second vision of the future flashes in my mind. Without even looking up from my book I can tell that one of the robbers has approached me.

"Look, I'm in the middle of a really good book now." I start. "Go bother someone else," I tell him.