Part 5: Toriel And Asgore Have A Healthy Friendship

"So he's really okay?" Toriel asked as Asgore poured out tea for them both.

"Yes, and he seems to be doing alright, given the circumstances."

"I just hope he doesn't push himself to much. He always had a bad habit of not giving himself the rest he needs." Toriel sipped her tea and smiled, perfect as it always was when Asgore made it.

It hadn't been easy for the two of them to reconnect, both knowing that they would never be what they once were, but they had managed to at least a be tentative friends. Toriel had realized she couldn't hold Asgore's choices against him forever, given he hadn't had many option to begin with, and he truly was a good monster, who only wanted the best for who he cared about. Asgore had never held a grudge against Toriel for leaving, and for him, being her friend was more than he had ever thought he'd get. When Toriel had come to him, apologizing for her behavior towards him, she'd been surprised when Asgore had insisted that there was nothing she had to apologize for. He'd always been so incredibly sweet, and Toriel found herself glad they'd managed to forgive and forget so they could both finally move forward.

"Gaster likes pleasing others..." Asgore trailed off, the tea momentarily forgotten, "He wants to be his best for everyone..." The King found himself smiling, "It's...something I've always admired about him."

It took Asgore a moment to realize Toriel was trying not to laugh, "What?" He raised an eyebrow.

"It's nothing, Asgore." Toriel insisted, though she kept that amused look in her eyes as she sipped her tea, deciding to switch the topic before Asgore grew to suspicious, "So how is human-monster integration going?"

"Better than expected." Asgore sipped his own drink, "There are still a few groups that don't like us being above ground, but most humans don't seem to mind us being here. It helps with Frisk being the ambassador, they're very convincing."

"That they are." Toriel smiled, pride for her adopted child showing through.

"We still have monsters settling into housing here, and I'm still working out details with the humans governing powers on how we'll work together. They scheduled a meeting a couple weeks from now so we can discuss it further."

"Well that's good."

"Frankly Toriel, I think any negotiation that doesn't involve weapons and violence is good." Asgore's voice took on a more serious tone with those words.

Toriel stared at the ground and sipped her tea, "...that is a fair point."

"How is you're new teaching position?"

"It's fantastic!" Toriel looked absolutely ecstatic at the mention of her new career, "The children in my class are lovely, and they get along with Frisk very well. Frisk loves telling them about the Underground."

"I'm glad to hear things are going well for you." And Asgore truly meant those words. Toriel deserved to be happy, and knowing she was happy brought comfort to Asgore. Even if they had made up, he still felt responsible for the heartache she had to go through in the past, "You sound very happy."

"I am." Toriel said, then took a second to look over Asgore before placing a gentle paw on his shoulder, "You know that you're allowed to be happy too, yes?"

"I...I'm...happy..." Asgore looked away, sipping his tea so he didn't have to look at her.

"Spare me from trying to lie, Asgore. I know you to well." She sighed and set her cup down, "You always carry so much weight on your shoulders...I worry one day that it'll become to much for you to carry on our own. It's alright for you to take a break and enjoy yourself once in awhile."

"Toriel, we're finally back in the Underground, I have to make sure the people's transition-"

"You can't do anything for the people if you're to miserable to even bother smiling." Toriel suddenly adopted a firm tone that made Asgore go stiff. Being under Toriel's gaze when she was being serious like this was one of the few things that could unnerve the king.

"Torri..."

"Asgore," Toriel let her tone soften, "You sacrifice so much for everyone, and they all know it. You're a good king who always works so hard to ensure the safety and well being of his people." She crossed her arms, "That being said, you also work yourself to the point that you can't sleep right, you're unable to wear that smile monsterkind loves so much, and you criticize yourself so much that you're self esteem is as small as a buttercup seed."

Asgore's face flushed at being called out like that, but he didn't deny what she was saying, "I...suppose I...could use something to take my mind off of things...but I wouldn't know what to do."

"Well..." Toriel gave him a side glance, tapping a claw on her leg, "Maybe spend some time with Gaster? You always seemed to enjoy his company."

"I wouldn't want to trouble him."

"Asgore, both of his sons work, and he's in no condition to go to work himself. You and I both know that he will go absolutely stir crazy if he's left by himself without something to occupy his time. I think he'll be more than eager to spend time with you, and you'd be doing his sons a favor. They could end up coming home to him trying to build a laser out of the microwave." Toriel snorted a laugh at the memory of when Gaster had gotten drunk and done just that.

"Or a robot out of the toaster." Asgore chuckled, thinking about such a time, "Perhaps I'll ask him."

"You will ask him." Toriel corrected, "You need a break."

"Alright, I will." Asgore smiled, "Does that make you less concerned about my well being?"

"Yes actually." The two were both smiling now, sharing a moment of comfortable silence as they drank their tea.

It wasn't very long until Asgore's phone rang, which he quickly picked up, "Alphys?" He quickly put the phone to his ear, "Alphys, I thought you had a day off today? Is everything-" The goat monster was cut off by Alphys's fast stammering voice, which Toriel could hear, though she wasn't able to make out more than a few words.

"Gaster...house...help...now!"

"A-Alright, I'm on my way!" Asgore hung up and quickly got to his feet, "I'm sorry Torri, but there's an emergency!"

"It's quite alright." Toriel stood up, "You hurry on now, it's okay." All she had to hear was Gaster's name to know that Asgore's attention was completely focused on getting to wherever he needed to be.

"Thank you." Asgore promptly left, breaking into a run as he made it out into the open street.

Toriel started gathering up the tea set, and couldn't help herself from muttering, "Prince Charming off to save his beloved prince."

———

Toriel knows whats up.