Part 4: Smells Like Coffee

Gaster's night had ended well, he and his sons staying up late watching old science fiction movies and eating snacks. Eventually they'd fallen asleep with Sans and Papyrus cuddled up to their father, Gaster's arms around them with a smile on his face. He couldn't have been happier, and he woke up feeling incredibly well rested. Even before his eyes were fully open, he noticed first, that his boys were no longer next to him, and second, he smelled coffee.

Coffee. Oh god did Gaster miss coffee. Just smelling it had him sitting up straight. He wouldn't deny that he was a caffeine addict, a hardcore, don't talk to me until I've chugged five cups of black coffee caffeine addict. Gaster was about to stand up and go grab a cup when Sans came in with two mugs.

"Chill out, Pops. I've gotcha covered." Sans handed Gaster a black mug with white letters that simply said, Science Man, and kept his own blue mug that said, Funny to the Bone.

"Oh sweet mercy-" Gaster chugged almost half of the cup in one go before he looked at Sans, "Thank you, son."

"How the- I just made that! It's still hot-"

"And?" Gaster took a long sip of the coffee.

"...whatever." Sans sat next to his father and sipped from his own cup, "How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good actually."

"Is that the truth, or are you trying to get me to leave you alone?" Gaster flinched at Sans straight up called him out for his old habits.

"I really do feel good, Sans. If I'm being honest, I think last night with you two really helped."

"Glad to hear it."

"Breakfast!" Papyrus came out if the kitchen with three bowls, one in each hand, and one on his head, "I made oatmeal with dinosaur eggs! Just like you used to make them!"

"Aw, you didn't have to."

"I wanted too!" Papyrus handed them both a bowl before sitting down with his own. He was the only one without coffee, since he preferred to stay away from caffeine.

"This is incredible, Papyrus. Thank you."

"Oh, it's nothing! I am the Great Papyrus, which means I am also a great son."

"Yeah bro, the best."

"Nonsense, brother! We are both great sons!"

"That you are." Gaster smiled at his sons, "You both are incredible sons."

Papyrus and Sans seemed to well with pride when they heard their father say that. Having Gaster returned to them had them both feeling like they were walking through warm sunshine, at the start if a new day. For so long they had missed what it was Gaster had given them, and to have it again felt incredible. It was a perfect moment between father and sons until Papyrus's phone started ringing.

"Uh- hello?" Papyrus quickly picked up, skull dusted with a light orange from his magic. From the expression quickly taking his brother's face, Sans knew exactly who he was talking to.

"Mettaton calling you again, bro~" Sans teased, chuckling when he saw Papyrus's skull burn orange.

"Oh?" Gaster was intrigued now as he leaned closer, "Who's Mettaton?" He was grinning wide.

"Oh M-Mettaton is- well- Mettaton is-"

"His boyfriend." Sans finished for his brother.

Gaster's face lit up, "Oooo! Is he nice? What does he do for a living? When can I meet him?"

For once, Papyrus wanted the attention off of him, so he quickly blurted out, "Sans is dating Grillby!"

"Bro!"

"Oh really now~" Gaster turned to Grillby, "The same Grillby you hung around with during school?" Gaster was absolutely loving teasing his sons.

"Y-Yeah..."

"When's the wedding?"

"Dad, no."

"Dad, yes~"

"D-Doctor Gaster?" Came a voice from the front door. All three skeletons turned to see Alphys standing in the doorway, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Doctor Alphys..."

"I-I'm s-s-s-sorry I sh-should've knocked b-b-but-"

"Alphys," Gaster placed his food on the coffee table with his coffee and despite his sons' protest, pulled himself up to his feet, "Given the circumstances, let's drop the formalities...I could really use a hug from an old friend." The skeleton offered a grin and opened his arms, glad when the small dinosaur monster came over and hugged him, doing her best not to squeeze to tightly.

"It's good to have you b-back."

———

"Are you sure you don't mind staying, Alph?"

"O-Of c-c-course n-not, Sans! You t-two go, w-we have a l-l-l-lot t-t-to catch up on a-anyway."

"Well if your sure." Sans opened the door, "Ready for work, bro?"

"The Great Papyrus is always ready!" Papyrus bounded out the door, picking Sans up on the way as he closed it with a quick goodbye. He'd been extra enthusiastic about work ever since monsters had moved to the surface.

Gaster smiled and turned to his friend now seated beside him, "So, care to catch me up?"

"Wh-What do you w-want to know?"

"How have things been on the surface?"

"G-g-good! W-we've been getting along well w-w-with the h-humans."

"We'll that's good to know. Nice to see we're moving forward."

"H-How are you feeling, th-though? Y-y-you we're i-in bad condition wh-wh-when we got you b-back."

"I'm still pretty sore, but the pain is much better than when I first woke up."

"Gr-Great! When y-your condition is a b-bit better, I'll run s-s-some test t-to check how your b-body is adjusting."

"Sounds marvelous, Alphys. We'll need to know how my time away affected my physical form."

"I-I'll be ready wh-when you are."

"Marvelous."

"D-Do you h-have any other q-questions?"

"Yes actually."

"Oh?"

"Where is everyone else from our old team?" Gaster smiled, "Are they doing well?"

Alphys's whole body went cold.