Chapter 13

Orion looks around warily.

Dylan is always here first. Always.

A cold chill runs down Orion's spine as his eyes race backwards and forwards, up and down the shaded riverbank of Bluewood territory. The spring leaves are rich and full of colour, gently rustling in the early breeze.

Today is Sunday, Orion's favourite day. During the week they might have only an hour together, but Sundays are different. It's the only day where Orion's father doesn't have a punishing regime for him to follow, too intent on chasing his own shallow pleasures to care where his son is or what he gets up to.

Sundays are God's day. Or rest day. It doesn't really matter which, because regardless, Sundays are their day.

And Dylan is always here first, waiting for him.

It seems to Orion that Dylan never goes home. The wild boy that he found barefoot in the river all those years ago that seems synonymous with the forest around them, built into the landscape like one of the trees rooted to the ground. He is always here, part of the geography and charted on a map. But not today.

The light breeze raises goosebumps on the skin of his arms, reminding him that while the bright sunshine may fool you into thinking summer has come, spring can be bitter and biting as it holds it's domain just a little longer.

Orion slips off his shoes, an uneasy feeling in his stomach.

He tugs his socks off faster, shoving them hastily into his shoes before plunging into the river. He hesitates at the edge, biting his lip.

He's crossed into Bluewood territory before, but never alone. Never without Dylan. His anxiety for his friend overrides his fear as he tentatively steps onto the riverbank.

Even the soil in Bluewood is softer than Ironhill. Or at least, Orion thinks so as his toes flex and dig into the ground beneath him. Everything is quiet and peaceful as he hesitates, dark, rich forest staring back at him.

He looks around, skittish.

"Dylan?" He calls tentatively.

His fingers fidget as nothing but a gust of wind answers him. He takes a deep breath, steeling himself.

He takes another step forwards, into the trees, his heart thrumming in his chest as he feels the buzzing energy of another, so close he can almost...

"Hey Orion!"

Orion leaps out of his skin, a high pitched, girlish scream leaving his lips as his eyes dart upwards.

Dylan is hanging from his knees on the branch of a tree, upside down, like a monkey. His entire face is bright, his eyes shining as he giggles manically. His little hands clutch his stomach, his eyes weeping absurd, gravity defying tears as they trickle over his brows and into his hairline.

"I sure got you, Orion!" He says, his voice muffled by boyish glee.

Orion scowls, his hands planting themselves on his hips automatically, but he can't bring himself to be angry.

Dylan's nearly six foot up a tree, dangling by his legs, looking more at home there than Orion has ever felt anywhere and his heart aches in envy. He wants to do that.

"How'd you get up there?" He asks, his voice full of wonder.

Dylan sobers up, cocking his head to the side. His ears are beginning to look alarmingly red, and he is vaguely aware of the ache that's beginning to throb between his eyes.

"What do you mean, how? I climbed." Dylan says, as though it's the easiest thing in the world.

Orion bites his lip.