Chapter 6

Orion paces the short space of his office again and again, his feet wearing down the carpet underfoot as his mind races. He had dreamt of his father last night, for the first time in a long time, and it had left him with a deep rooted unease in his bones.

Unwanted memories keep resurfacing, an unexpected and unpleasant side effect of Dylan reappearing in his life, and he isn't sure how to cope with them.

Kieran watches his best friend from a soft armchair carefully with a small, disconcerted frown. He fiddles with his fingers, wondering just where to begin. He takes note that Orion looks better rested, and he exhales lightly in relief. He doesn't need any more late night escapades.

"So...what do we do now?" He finally asks, unable to watch his Alpha pace any longer.

Orion looks up at him, puzzled. He had forgotten that Kieran was sat there.

"What?" He asks.

Kieran purses his lips, looking at his hands again.

"There needs to be a plan. The packs will need to be told about the peace treaty." Kieran says, not looking up.

His heart is thrumming in his chest, aching, driving him forwards. He battles with his brain, his conscience fighting against his heart. He feels so guilty, but he can't stop.

Orion nods to himself, looking away from his friend. Shame fills his body, wishing he were able to focus on work. On the pack.

"Sam and I could do it." Kieran suggests, forcing himself to say the words, hating the bitter aftertaste that they leave in his mouth. His heart has won out and he bites his lip, unsure how he feels about it. He's manipulating Orion, he knows that, but the will to see Sam is stronger. He needs an excuse to get on Bluewood territory, and he's grasping at straws. He knows that too, but if fate won't bring Sam to him, then he'll take fate into his own hands.

The connection that he had felt, in just those few moments. It had been electric. He has to know if Sam had felt it too. Soulmates...he still can't believe it, and with every single second that they're torn apart, he is more certain that he dreamt the man into reality.

Orion glances at his second in command, settling in his desk chair as he leans his chin on his fists.

"Sam and I could agree upon the wording of the speech you'll give and write it up. You and Dylan..."

Kieran notices Orion wince at the mention of the Bluewood Alpha's name, but pretends not to. He decides not to continue on that avenue, instead pursing his lips tightly.

Orion frowns, his eyes very far away. He nods softly.

"It's a good idea. How will you communicate though?" Orion asks and Kieran looks at him, puzzled.

"What?"

"The deaf boy? How will you communicate? You can't sign." Orion says plainly.

Kieran's mind revolts at the disrespect to his mate and he clutches the armrest of the chair he's perched in, his molars grinding together. He hasn't told Orion, he hasn't dared yet, unsure of just how his superior would take the news of their fated pairing.

"His name is Samuel." He grits out.

Orion's eyes meet Kieran's and he sighs, nodding apologetically.

"I'm sorry. That was rude, I'm tired. How will you communicate with Samuel?" Orion says.

And for a moment, Kieran is stumped. He hasn't thought this far ahead, his desperation to see the strange, beautiful boy again the only thing fuelling him. Logical thought now comes into play and he hesitates.

He hasn't even really registered the fact that he is deaf. He only accepted him, taking him for who he is. It's a romantic notion, but reality is cruel and ugly. How would they communicate?

"I'll start to learn sign language. You should too," Kieran adds, glancing at Orion, who nods seriously.

"And we'll rely on writing for the meantime. It'll be slow, but better than..." Kieran trails off and Orion looks away.

Kieran's chest aches for his best friend. He knows why Orion is choosing this, but remains unsure as to whether it's the right choice. Surely Orion's happiness is more important? Orion doesn't seem to think so.

Kieran wonders idly how Dylan is faring. He hasn't been given a choice in the matter it seems, and Kieran reluctantly thinks that the Bluewood Alpha has borne the situation with grace and dignity.

He isn't sure how he'd cope if Sam were to reject him. It is still a very real possibility, but he doesn't want to think of it.

He busies himself with thoughts of the Alphas instead. Statistics leap to his mind at the successfulness of an Alpha's leadership when they reject their fated mate bond, but he disregards them for the moment. Facts and statistics won't help him now. But time? That might just do it.

In Kieran's opinion, it's only a matter of time before the Alphas find each other again, giving in to the inevitable, unrelenting bond that they share.

But in the meantime, he has to put up with Orion's sulking. There's only so much tolerance Kieran has for his best friend.

"It's a good plan, Kieran. I'll...email Dylan. Ask him for Sam's contact information. Let me know if you need anything from me." Orion says, opening his laptop and Kieran nods.

Only moments later, Orion is handing him a post-it note.

On it, is Sam's email address.

SamuelKent@Bluewood.com

His feet carry him out of Orion's office and into his own, his eyes still staring at the post-it. He wonders where on Earth to begin.

He nibbles his lip anxiously. The boy had been near impossible to read, and although Sam hadn't looked away from his face for a second that they had been together, Kieran still has no idea what his mate had thought of him. What had gone on in his head.

Kieran stares at his laptop for a long time, deciding at last to keep this email, at least, professional. He would have time to romance his mate later.

He types out a simple request to meet, advising Sam of Orion's instructions to formulate a basic speech for both Alphas to present to the packs.

He reads and re-reads the email three times before signing his name. He hesitates before adding 'Beta of Ironhill pack' beneath it.

He presses send before he can change his mind, his heart racing in his chest as his hands clutch the edge of his desk. He exhales quickly, laughing almost hysterically as he rests his head in his hands.

If sending an email to his mate has him feeling like this, what the hell will it be like talking to him?