Chapter 26

She remembered this heat

She remembered this heat. Over ten thousand years ago, when she went by the name of Doa and watched her children die. She remembered the fire as the temperature dropped at night and watching her husband sleep, unaware of the deal she made with the Old Spirits.

The third Old Spirit, crawled and clawed at the earth toward her in an attempt to get in. She remembered the charm the Three creators used to keep it out. They bound it to that spot, she recalled.

Rhiannon felt like she'd walked for hours already. The sand made each step a struggle as her feet sank into it. She wished she could use her power for herself just once. She'd fly or run to Thor. Anything but walk. She had no idea how far away he was and realized her plan was ridiculous.

"Girl, what were you thinking?" she asked herself out loud. She stopped to catch her breath, hoping for a breeze. But there was none. She thought about turning back, but she didn't know what waited for her there. Namor was pretty upset with her for running off to find Thor. She could see the betrayal in his eyes and had no idea if he'd ever forgive her.

She wished he could understand that she did this for him. And yes, she did it for Thor as well. She didn't want to see them hurt each other.

"Don't panic," a calm voice spoke to her right. She turned to face a handsome man with dark hair that grayed at the temples, unique goatee and a red cape that flapped in the wind. "I'm not here to hurt you."

"Wha... who are you?" she asked.

"Dr. Stephen Strange."

Rhiannon stared at him, narrowing her eyes to study this man who seemed to appear out of nowhere. "Am I hallucinating? Must be. It's hot. I'm dehydrated."

"Not a hallucination. I'm very real." He approached her, calmly. "I can take you to Thor."

She let out a loud laugh. "Ok. I'm definitely hallucinating. It's hot, so I imagine a random dude with a cape in the desert who comes to fly me to the very person I'm looking for."

Strange sighed, frustrated.

"Ok." He used his sling ring to create the circle of golden sparks. It widened and revealed more desert and...Thor. She stumbled backward as he walked through the portal.

"Do not be afraid," Thor said. "I'm not here to hurt you."

She tripped over a mound of hot sand and fell backward onto her rear. She never broke eye contact with Thor. "How is this possible?"

"You thought you were the only human that uses magic?" Strange smirked. He reached his hand out to her and helped her off the ground.

The circle of golden sparks shrunk until it disappeared.