Chapter 18

New Asgard...

A brilliant golden circle of sparks appeared in the conference room. It widened and stretched, making static sounds as it opened.

"Just curious. When were you going to call me? Before the three Old Spirits staged a reunion tour of destruction or after?" Dr. Strange stepped through the circle and into the room. Shuri and Okoye stood, startled by the intrusion. Valkyrie refused to move, but looked annoyed. "Oh, don't look so surprised. You knew I'd show up sooner or later. It's a magic being. I'm a sorcerer. Of course, I'm here."

"We're trying to figure out what this is

"We're trying to figure out what this is." Valkyrie responded.

"You know what this is and you know who we need."

"I don't know where he is."

"Yes, you do." Strange approached Valkyrie who remained seated. Shuri and Okoye watched, curious. "And so do I. You're protecting him."

"He's lost everything," Valkyrie spoke low.

Strange turned away from her, staring at the floor. He sighed deeply and took a seat next to her.

"We've all given more than we thought we ever could." Strange spoke low. Shuri bowed her head. Okoye held back tears. The death of their king was still fresh. "But that was our choice. I could give you the speech. Greater good, sacrifice one for many...blah...blah...blah. But it's nothing you haven't heard before."

Valkyrie chuckled. "Hell, I've given that speech."

"Right." Strange paused, deep in thought before he spoke. "You should give him the chance to make that choice. Even though you and I know what he will choose...your majesty."

Shuri waited in silence until the curiosity grew to be too much.

"I don't understand. Who is it we need?" She asked.

Strange turned to her. "We need a god. Do you know any?"

Valkyrie relented. "Thor's on a planet in galaxy-"

"I know where he is."

Strange stood up and used his sling ring to conjure the passage. The golden sparks grew and expanded, revealing a planet with pink sand and trees as tall as mountains.

"He's got a daughter now." Valkyrie responded as Strange stepped through. He turned to Shuri and Okoye.

"Are you coming? I could use the back up. I have no idea what's on this planet. The search for Thor could be long. It could take days. Weeks, even. This place looks like it goes on for miles and we could be here for-"

"Wizard?" Thor's voice boomed behind him. "What are you doing here?"

They all frowned and leaned to peer over his shoulder.

Strange rolled his eyes before turning to face him.

"Looking for you, actually."

"Why? What's happened?" Thor asked, amused. A little girl popped out from behind him carrying Stormbreaker. "Oh, this is my daughter."

"Yes, nice to meet you. Thor, we need you back here. There's a problem."

Thor surveyed the room, seeing Shuri, Okoye and King Valkyrie. He turned serious. "What is it?"

"The Dark Soul," Valkyrie answered.

Thor was silent, a flash of concern in his eyes before the warrior returned. "Rhiannon. Has she been triggered? Did she change?"

"She's been taken," Shuri answered.

Thor clenched his jaw in anger. His eyes flashed with lightning and Mjolnir sparked with flashes of blue. His question sounded more like a threat. "By who?"

 "By who?"

***

"Namor, please listen to me. Listen to what you're asking me to do," Rhiannon pleaded as they splashed up onto the shores of Mauritania. It was night, so the beaches were deserted.

"I know what I'm asking, mi amor."

"Can you even survive? You want me to take you to the place I met the Old Spirits. The Sahara desert. Far away from large bodies of water."

"You won't let me die."

He led them onto the shores of the country, the shimmering lights of the cities in the distance.

"Why are you so sure?" she asked, exasperated.

"You would bring the ocean to me, if I asked. I've seen your power." He reached out his hand to her, and she accepted. "Now, please. Do not fight me."

He kissed her lips softly.

"I don't like that you use me. That you trigger me to get your way."

"I know." He pulled her close to him and wrapped his arm around her. He clutched his spear in his other hand. "It is not something I like doing either. But I want to end this for you. I need you to understand something."

He lifted her chin and gazed into her eyes. "What do you need me to understand?"

"I love you. That's unchangeable." He kissed her lips again. "And I fully intend to make you my queen."

She looked back at the warriors he brought along. "Queen? Will your people accept me?"

"My people will accept whatever I accept. But I need you to be free. I will not have a queen who can be controlled by another." He pushed stray hairs away from her face. "And I absolutely will not have you living in fear. Now, take me to where you met the Old Spirits."

***

It had been waiting for what seemed an eternity. The charm she cast kept it from entering her and it remained bound to that spot. All humans knew to avoid that place where things died and sank into the dry, desert sand.

The air stank there and the water was toxic...if water ever fell on that place.

It waited for several millennia until it finally heard its siblings call its name. The joy they felt when they uttered it, it felt also. The loneliness it felt, the anger that grew was explosive. And when it heard its name....it all morphed into revenge. It would get revenge on the woman who tricked it. The being created by its cousins. The Three that stopped it from entering her.

It's siblings brought Death and Destruction. The opposite of its cousins who brought Life and Creation. And it was the last... the final piece in the utter desolation of all things.

The last of the Three cousins, the good that made that woman was Wholeness. Whenever the Three came together, they filled all things with hope and happiness, completion and purpose. So, what was the opposite? What was the thing that it, the Third Old Spirit, represented?

The opposite of the good Three who were Life, Creation, and Wholeness.... The sibling of Death and Destruction was Emptiness.

....and it couldn't wait to suck everything into its bleak, eternal void.