Chapter 12

In Wakanda

In Wakanda....

"And these are the final test results?" Shuri asked one of her assistants. 

"Yes, princess."

She looked at the holographic data and gasped.

"How many times did you run this?"

"Ten times, your highness."

"All with the same result?"

"Yes."

"Then, Rhiannon's origins...she's been lied to. I'm not sure what it means yet, but the Old Spirits lied." Shuri paused. "We have to triple our efforts to find her."

***

There were three ships in the distance and two jets flew overhead. They passed the small island and the sound startled them, even though they saw them approach. Namor turned to Rhiannon, both of them dressed and alert.

"Stay hidden," he said, pointing to a cluster of trees in the center of the island. "I will deal with this."

"I can help," she pleaded. He frowned as the jets buzzed by again, returning to the ships. The large boats grew closer, moving at an incredible speed for their size.

"Do not disobey me," he kissed her lips gently and pushed some wet strands of her hair from her face. Her skin still glistened in the sunlight like crystal and he moved his hand from her face to her shoulder. "If the French take you, nothing and no one will stop me from finding you. I will destroy everything in my way. And I do mean everything. Your heart is too kind to accept that. So, for your sake and mine, please stay hidden."

He kissed her again before walking away.

"And what do you think I would do if they take you?" She said to his back. He stopped and turned his head, grinning at her over his shoulder.

"That, mi amor, is what I'm dying to know."

With that, he lept into the air and raced toward the jets that approached the island again. Namor landed on one and jammed his spear into the front. He ripped the metal apart and tore wires and some of the frame, causing sparks that ignited into a fire. The pilot ejected from the aircraft and Namor leapt off the jet as the pilot catapulted into the air. 

Rhiannon watched from the trees as Namor caught the pilot midair, ripped his parachute and dropped the soldier into the middle of the ocean. Some of the soldiers on the approaching ships scrambled to get their fallen comrade while Namor went for the other jet.

This one did a few fancy maneuvers, working to get out of his path.
However, he was able to fling his spear into the jet exhaust with such force, it tore through the middle of the jet and came out at the front. Before the pilot knew what happened, the aircraft exploded. Namor retrieved his spear just as two missiles screeched through the air toward him. 

He noticed them too late and they slammed into his back, flinging him through the air, miles away from the island. Rhiannon knew he'd be ok. She could still feel their connection though she couldn't see him. The ships finally reached a distance that forced them to stop moving. Men jumped overboard and into the water wearing scuba gear that she recognized from before when the French attacked Talokan.

How did they find us? She wondered.  No one knew where they were. Namor assured her the island wasn't on any maps. Yet, the men swam toward shore, armed with their modified weapons sold to them by a deceased weapons maker who worked with stolen vibranium. These weapons could damage Namor. Could they kill him?

She watched from the tree line as the men dragged themselves on shore. They looked around and aimed their weapons at invisible danger.

"Le pilote a dit qu'il y en avait deux!" She heard on of them say.

"Regarde dans les arbres!" Another responded. Rhiannon had lived a long time. Most languages she knew.

The pilot said there were two of them! Look in the trees!

She wanted to run. She wanted to look for Namor, but she couldn't. The transformation meant she had to obey him. So, she waited for him to return or....for him to die. The last thought made her heart drop. She was sure the missiles couldn't hurt him. But what if she was wrong? She scanned the sky for him, hoping to see him grinning down at her as he readied for an attack on the men.

All she saw was the blue sky and the shinning sun that, earlier was her friend and now, her enemy. Her shadow stretched beyond the trees and an astute soldier saw.

"L'ombre!" She heard one of them whisper.

Shadow!

Rhiannon backed away and pushed further into the small grouping of trees. Three men walked her way, cautiously. They probably suspected she was a Talokan warrior.

A loud blast and the trees leveled. The French soldiers flung backward as water and sand exploded around them. Rhiannon ducked and covered her eyes.

When the air cleared, she looked around at the devastation. Though it was a small grouping of maybe a dozen palm trees, they were now uprooted and laying on the island floor. Namor lowered himself from above her, maintaining eye contact with her as he landed. Attuma and Namora stood behind her, armed with the water bombs their nation crafted using vibranium technology.

Rhiannon was relieved to see him alive and flanked by his warriors. He must have called to them for help. She wondered if more of his people were there, hidden beneath the waves. The wounds on his shoulder from the missiles healed before her eyes. Namor grabbed her waist and pulled her close, then kissed her hard. He pulled away and looked her in her eyes.

"Destroy them," he commanded.

Rhiannon touched his face and planted a single, soft kiss on his lips. With that command, the transformation was complete. Her skin still shown like crystals, but her hair changed from the blue that moved with the breeze into a jet black braid that started from her widow's peak and ended at her waist. Her eyes were no longer silver, but matched his intense deep brown gaze.

The black, curly threads that wove up legs returned, their graceful designs now stretching across her entire body. 

"If that is what you want," her voice was many

"If that is what you want," her voice was many. She spoke the words in English, but other voices could be heard coming from her in whispers and musical notes that repeated the words in different languages. One of them, Spanish. Another French. A third, Yucatec Mayan. All speaking through her simultaneously sounding like windchimes, and whispers and a woman singing softly. "So be it."

Everyone watched as she floated into the air. She pulled her legs up and crossed them as though she sat on the floor. Rhiannon lifted her hands in front of her, shoulder level and palms facing upward.

"There will be nothing left," she said. "Let's begin."