"that is the prince, you do realise?" lancelot frowned as isabella let out a careless giggle.

"and i'm the prince's wife to be. plus, merlin is allowed to make fun of arthur, because i said so."

"your challenge is to last one minute in free combat." arthur spoke as the man began waving his swords around to appear more intimidating.

"i doubt he will last one second, let alone a minute." isabella tilted her head.

"grimond, second son of wessex..." arthur pulled out his sword as the man beside isabella, merlin and lancelot flipped the hourglass timer as the minute began. "your time starts now."

the crowd watched the fight, most of it was grimond waving his swords around as arthur watched with an amused smile, before the fighting began. grimond aimed his sword at arthur who easily dodged and lifted his knee up to knock grimond down as the crowd let out cheers.

"take him away," arthur ordered before turning around with a bored expression to face isabella who sent him a proud smile, as he nodded at her, returning the smile.

"you really are going to marry him one day." merlin spoke with a raised brow.

"i know." she spoke distantly, shaking her head with a small smile. "come on, merlin." she spoke, walking over to the prince who was waiting for her with a smile.

"well done. again." she smiled as he leant down to hug her, shoving his helmet into merlin's arms who rolled his eyes, the three beginning to walk through the village.

"grimond's the third to fail this month." arthur huffed as isabella sent merlin an amused smile. "how am i meant to defend camelot with rubbish like that?" he continued.

"i think i might be able to help." merlin replied as isabella nodded.

"yes, what about lancelot? he saved you from the beast did he not?"

merlin nodded as arthur raised a brow. "that's great, i'm sure he is terrific. but i'm assuming you are forgetting the first code of camelot." he stopped walking to face them.

"the what?" merlin's face dropped.

isabella sighed. "right, the first code. only those of noble blood can serve as knights." isabella mocked the king as arthur sent her a look, but couldn't fight the smile off his face.

"so, unless your friend is a nobleman—" arthur began as merlin nodded suddenly. "he is a nobleman."

"is he?" isabella blinked, confused. he didn't look it. ( no offence, lancelot ! )

"absolutely." merlin nodded again as arthur raised a brow.

"very well. bring him to the training ground tomorrow."

"oh! and make sure he brings his seal of nobility." arthur added before taking isabella's hand and walking away as isabella turned back to send a wave to merlin, ( who tried to return it, but failed as he dropped all of arthur's armour ) and then walked away with the prince.

"thank you, arthur! you won't regret it!" they heard merlin call out as arthur waved him off and isabella laughed.

"lovely to see merlin back and well."