[012] one of them.

CHAPTER 12

one of them.

TERESA SAT IN THE PIT WITH THOMAS WHO WAS LYING DOWN, STILL PASSED OUT. "Hey." Teresa said to the boy once he had woken up. "Are you okay?"

"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck scolded as he sat on the other side of the caged door, Minho, Newt and, Oizys beside him.

"What happened?" Thomas asked, confused as to what happened after he stung himself.

"Gally's taken control." Newt clarified. "He said we had a choice." His voice was calm, though his mind was full of anger and annoyance. "Either join him or get banished at sundown with you."

"And the others agreed to that?" He questioned.

"Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this has happened." Teresa's voice was soft, full of what seemed to be sadness and confusion about what she had been made part of. Thomas softly nodded as he sat crouched in the corner of the pit.

"Well, he's been right so far." The statement confused everyone, making them furrow their eyebrows. 

"What are you talking about?" Minho asked. 

"This place... It's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison. It's a test. It all started when we were kids. They'd give us these challenges. They were experimenting on us. And then people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other, like clockwork." His face seemed to show guilt, though the rest of the group remained confused. 

"Sending them up into the Maze?" Newt asked wanting him to clarify.

"Yeah, but not all of us."

"What do you mean?" Newt mumbled. 

Thomas was silent for a few moments before he spoke. "Guys, I'm one of them. The people who put you here, I worked with them. I watched you guys for years. The entire time you've been here, I... I was on the other side of it. So were you." He said looking towards Teresa as he finished.

"What?" Teresa said confused and taken aback by the sudden rush of information.

"Teresa, we did this to them." Teresa lightly shook her head in disbelief.

"No." She muttered. "That can't be true." Thomas' eyes flickered to Oizys before turning back to Teresa. Newt shook his head, also looking to Oizys, thinking back to their last conversation.