[002] i remember my name.

CHAPTER 2

i remember my name.

AS NIGHTTIME HIT THE GLADE, THE GLADERS BEGAN TO CELEBRATE THEIR NEW GREENIE. Spears set aflame hit a pile of sticks that stood in the middle of the large group. Quickly the flame grew, lighting up the area as cheering was heard all around. People were playing what seemed to make handmade drums, whilst others hung around with their friends, drinking an unknown concoction. 

As the night went on, Newt and the Greenie were sat side-by-side against a log, their backs facing the group of people as they looked out where the entrance of the Maze used to be. "Hell of a first day, Greenie." Newt began. "Here. Put some hair on your chest." Newt lifted up a bottle of the unknown drink, offering it to the quiet boy. 

As quick as he was to take a sip, he spit it out quicker. Newt couldn't help but laugh whilst the Greenie tried to get the taste out of his mouth. "Oh , my God, what is that?" He asked, still coughing to forget the disgusting taste. Newt took the bottle back out of his hands before he responded with a chuckle.

"I don't even know. It's Gally's recipe. It's a trade secret." As he spoke, he looked over to where Gally was situated. The boy was seen wrestling with others Gladers, pushing them down onto the ground beneath them. 

"Yeah, well, he's still an asshole." Was all the Greenie responded with, still irritated with him after his second shove of the day. 

"He saved your life today." Newt assured him, trying to show that Gally wasn't all that bad. "Trust me, the Maze is a dangerous place." He continued, as the two looked out to the tall Maze walls. 

"We're trapped here, aren't we?" The Greenie said, his mind still trying to understand what was happening around him. Newt was quiet for a few seconds before he came up with an answer.

"For the moment. But..." He turned around, looking over the log they were resting on to point to a group of boys across from them. "You see those guys, there, by the fire? Those are the Runners. And that guy in the middle there, that's Minho. He's the Keeper of the Runners. Now, every morning when those doors open, the run the Maze, mapping it, memorising it, trying to find a way out." Newt explained, introducing the Greenie to the people of the Glade. 

"How long have they been looking?" The boy asked. He looked at Newt to see him already looking straight back.

"Three years." He answered with a straight face.