[003] stung.

CHAPTER 3

stung.

THOMAS WAS WOKEN SUDDENLY BY A VOICE MUTTERING HIS NAME, FOLLOWED BY A HAND COVERING HIS MOUTH. He was quickly shushed as he looked up to see none other than Alby, standing above him. The leader instructed the younger boy to follow him across the Glade whilst everyone else was still asleep. 

The two walked across the green grass, Alby speaking to Thomas, telling him about the dark history of the Glade and about everyone they have lost. Thomas was led to a small section of the Glade walls, a knife was placed into his hand as he ventured closer to find the Gladers names carved into the stone. 

"What happened to them?" Thomas asked curiously, pointing towards the names crossed out.

"Life hasn't always been easy in the Glade, we've had dark days." Alby replied. Thomas turned back to the wall, looking over the names once again before one stood out.

"What about that one? Why's Oizys' name crossed out?" The Greenie spoke out, asking yet another question to the leader. Alby kept silent for some moments, before muttering out a response.

"That's not my story to tell. Like I said... dark days, Thomas." Was all the leader responded with. Thomas then silently stepped closer to the wall as he began carving out his name, quite literally setting his presence in the Glade into stone. 

THE SUN HAD FURTHER RISEN, AWAKING THE REST OF THE GLADE FROM THEIR SLEEP. Thomas was working with Newt, Oizys, and some other Gladers out in the gardens; as the rest tried to work, Thomas' curiosity was found present once again. "Has anyone tried climbing to the top?" He asked, throwing out ideas of how to get through the Maze.