Don't you Just LOVE Being Unconscious Several Times?

Amber grabbed a knife out of her pocket and pointed it at Medea. She wore an elegant black dress with diamond jewelry, and looked like a retired fashion model. Her long dark hair was swept over one shoulder and her face was gorgeous in a surreal super-model way. With their long red-painted nails, her fingers looked more like talons.

When she saw the knife, she merely smiled sweetly. "Now, honey, you wouldn't want to do that. Trust me."

Amber's friends frowned at her. "Amber, what are you doing?" Leo asked. "Do you normally just point knives at strangers?"

Medea waved a hand in dismissal. "Oh, I do not mind. It happens a surprising amount of times. But, anyways, I'm so happy to see new customers. How may I help you?"

Amber furrowed her eyebrows, suddenly realizing something. Medea was mortal. Killing her would be...well...murder.

Doesn't matter, Emerald hissed. It's her or you and all your friends. Just get it over with. Or I could do it for you, if you want.

I can't, Amber realized, glancing at Jason and Leo's glossy eyes. She's already got those two under her control, and there's no way to be certain that, even in death, she won't be able to control them.

"Um," Jason said, "is this your store?"

The woman nodded. "I found it abandoned, you know. I understand so many stores are, these days. I decided it would--"

"Bullcrap," Amber interjected. "Just cut to the chase, Med--"

"You may call me Your Highness," she interrupted. "It's what all my...friends call me. I am the Princess of Colchis, after all."

Freaking monster, Emerald hissed.

Piper poked Jason. "Jason..."

"Um, right. Actually, Your Highness..." He pointed to the gilded cage on the first floor. "That's our friend down there, Gleeson Hedge. The satyr. Could we...have him back, please?"

"Of course!" she agreed pleasantly, her voice making Amber want to fall into the lull of peace that had been calling to her since Medea started talking. Charmspeak. There was only so much her glasses and Emerald could help to defend against it.

Remember, she's an awful person, Emerald said. Don't listen to her.

Amber opened her mouth, but no words would come out, no matter how hard she tried. Medea flashed her a triumphant smirk before speaking. "I would love to show you my inventory. First, may I know your names?"

Amber tried to shake her head, signalling not to answer, but Medea glared at her, and everything turned into fuzz.

. . .

Amber.

Amber!

Amber?

AMBER!

Amber's senses suddenly returned to her. She stiffened and gazed around, trying to figure out what had happened since...well, she wasn't quite sure what to name the phenomenon that had just occurred. She'd sort of understood what was going on, but it was like it was a dream; she couldn't control her emotions, body, or even thoughts, yet she just didn't care.

You're back! Now you gotta fix everything before we all die, Emerald instructed, being helpful as always.

Amber shook her head, trying to focus on the task at hand. She'd figure out what that blurry state was later. Her, Emerald, Jason, Piper, Leo, and Medea seemed to be at the base of the fountain they were looking at earlier. Leo, Piper, and Jason were all crowded around the canary cage that contained Gleeson. Medea, meanwhile, was much closer to Amber. She was also staring right at her, because of course she immediately noticed when Amber wasn't under her spell anymore.