I Try not to Murder an Immortal Being

Amber looked around, noting the architecture of each building they were passing over. Annabeth would've loved it. She wondered if Nico had been there before while shadow-travelling.

Oh, wait, she realized. Another mystery that circulates around Jason: Nico knows him somehow.

Right, Emerald hissed. But how, exactly?

I don't know. But Nico seems to trust him, and that's good enough for me.

In front of them, Piper shook Leo awake.

"We're here," she said. Leo rubbed his eyes.

"Tell me that's Quebec and not Santa's workshop," he said.

"It's Santa's workshop," Amber informed him. "Can't you see all the elves? Oh, hey, I bet you'd fit right in with them!" Piper and Jason laughed at that, and Amber could tell Leo was rolling his eyes.

"It's Quebec city, yeah," Piper confirmed.

"One of the oldest cities in North America. Founded in 1608," Amber said. "Site of quite a few wars and war preparations. Children of Athena and Ares met in battle here many times. The place where poutine was originated."

"Right. How could I have forgotten? I'm friends with the biggest nerd in history," Leo said, facepalming himself. Piper snorted while Jason chuckled.

"Get to know Annabeth more, and you'll quickly find out who the bigger nerd is," Amber told him.

"Nope. I do not need two people spitting random facts at me 24/7," Leo groaned. "But, since you know so much, what's that castle?" He pointed to a building with massive red brick walls and a square tower with a peaked, green gabled roof.

They think they have it bad? Half the time, I'm basically reading your thoughts! I actually hear random facts 24/7! Emerald complained.

"A hotel," she informed him. "The Chateau Frontenac Hotel, to be specific." 

"No way," Leo said, laughing. But when they got closer, Amber could tell he started to believe her.

"The North Wind is staying in a hotel?" Leo asked. "That can't be right."

"I met Ares in a diner once. Charon, the person who takes people to the--" Amber paused for a moment, trying not to wince, "to the Underworld, lives in a recording studio. Olympus is at the Empire State building. Immortal beings are weird."

"Heads up, guys," Jason said. "We got company." 

Amber looked below and saw what Jason meant. Rising from the top of the tower were two winged figures--Boreads, according to what Amber's glasses told her. Zethes and Calais. Children of Boreas. They were holding nasty-looking swords.

Festus didn't like the angel guys. He swooped to a halt in midair, wings beating and teeth bared, and made a rumbling sound in his throat. Leo muttered something.

"I don't like this," Jason said. "They look like storm spirits."

"They're Boreads," Amber informed him.

"Children of Boreas?" he guessed.

"Correct." Amber nodded.

The Boreads looked like regular teenagers except for their icy white hair and feathery purple wings. Their bronze swords were jagged, like icicles. Their faces looked similar enough, which made sense, since they were brothers and all. They definitely weren't identical twins, though.

One–Calais–was the size of an ox, with a bright red Canadians hockey jersey, baggy sweatpants, and black leather cleats. The guy had clearly been in too many fights, because both his eyes were black, and when he bared his teeth, several were missing.