Grand Ball I

Jude POV:

I tied my tie around the white collar of my undershirt, making sure that the scarlet tie fit perfectly into my entire aesthetic.

Looking into the mirror, I found a tall, pale man staring back at me. My emerald green eyes stood out alongside the red tie, like two mountains among the plains of the white shirt and black blazer.

After I was satisfied with how I looked, I opened the door to find Princess Angelina at the other end, her hand raised to knock on the door. 

She retracted her hand down with slight colour travelling to her cheeks. My mouth half opened in a silent gasp as I took in her beauty.

(A/N: About when Jude said the Princess was in her mid-teens, he wasn't quite wrong or right. She's 17, a few months younger than him.)

A diamond tiara rested atop her small head and dazzling golden hair that flowed like liquid gold even in the dark lighting of the corridor. She had small, kind verdant eyes that were similar to mine yet different at the same time.

A pretty white dress hung on her pale skin, not hiding her intoxicating body underneath.

I quickly reeled back my thoughts before composing myself and bowing in respect, "I pay respect to Her Highness, Princess Angelina of the Hyperion Empire."

Her eyes sparkled as she asked me to get up in a monotone voice. Then, she extended her right hand in front of me.

An expression of incredulity struck my face before quickly being masked by my stoic expression.

'The Princess is asking for me to greet her in such a way?' I thought before gently taking her hand with mine and kissing the behind of her palm.

"The title of the Jewel of Hyperion Empire is truly deserved, Your Highness," I added before flashing a smile.

Her cheeks were tinted red as she quickly retracted her hand, "T-Thank you, Hero Jude."

Angelina POV:

That day when I met him would likely be known in the future as a historical event that completely changed the course of the entire world.

'The two otherworlders who possess transcendent strength, Jude and Cordelia.'

I was quite alarmed when the two of them suddenly appeared in front of me while I was being escorted back to my room. There were quite a few guards around me for security reasons, with the war against the Church of the Black Sun brewing and reaching new heights.

However, what was even more shocking was how effortlessly Jude cured me from my curse, the same curse nobody could heal me from.

My blindness was a curse that broke me. Not being able to see the beautiful landscapes in nature,  the sparkling stars in the night sky or the ornamental decorations of the imperial palace shattered by will.

It was only because of Albert, Aluxio and my father that I was able to live on, try to get this curse behind me.

Although Jude only cured me to get something in return, it felt nothing short of a miracle for me, who suffered under darkness for over a year.

'When did my heart start fluttering when I saw him?' I thought as my brain continued to wander around.

'Do I even love him, or is that just what my brain thinks because he saved me from my curse?'

I know that these thoughts aren't right. Jude is from another world, he will leave after his purpose here is done, whatever may that purpose be.

I also know he already has a women, the archmage Cordelia. She was almost as strong as him, and I didn't want to try to take him away from her, even if I could.

However, like how the fisherman catches fish with a net, I was caught my him. My footsteps inevitably led me right to his guest room, even without any conscious effort by my side.

The two guards escorting me had puzzled expressions on adorned on their faces but they seemed to be smarter than to ask questions.

Taking a deep breath in, I raised my hand to knock on the door. However, Jude beat me to it as he opened the door to exit.

He seemed to have been shocked by my appearance, and spent more than a few seconds to scrutinise my body. Colour rushed to my cheeks but I quickly hid it behind a cold face.

However, his appearance certainly wasn't helping. Tall, lean yet muscular frame covered in a white shirt and black blazer that suited him needlessly well. His scarlet tie was certainly odd, but it simply accentuated his emerald eyes.

I quickly reeled back my thoughts before composing myself as he bowed in respect, "I pay respect to Her Highness, Princess Angelina of the Hyperion Empire."

My eyes sparkled before I asked him to get up in a monotone voice. Then, I extended my right hand in front of him.

'This gesture may be going too far, but.... I want this.'

An expression of incredulity struck his face before quickly being masked by his stoic expression.

He  gently took my hand with his and kissed the behind of my palm.

"The title of the Jewel of Hyperion Empire is truly deserved, Your Highness," he said before flashing a smile.

My cheeks were tinted red as I quickly retracted my hand, "T-Thank you, Hero Jude."

'D-did I just hear him say that correctly?' I wondered internally.

I once again composed myself before asking him, "Would the Hero do me a favour by escorting me? I apologise for the inconvenience, but it would be better if the Heroes were being escorted and escorted members of and related to the Imperial Family so that the general public does not worry too much."

He pondered over a bit before nodding his head in agreement. He then stepped forward to my side, my knight stepping back just enough to give him space.

'As expected of him, he quickly grasped why this is necessary.' I thought before letting him take my hand and escort me.

His demeanour and etiquette fit a member of the nobility, making me have little doubt he had such status in the other world.

'I wish that he was genuinely escorting me, not because of political reasons, but I suppose I shouldn't wish for too much. His arrival is already a blessing to the Empire.'

Jude POV:

While I did not wish to escort the Princess and wanted to rather escort Cordelia, it was a necessity in order for the Imperial Family to build up more power and reverence in the eyes of the people.

The family lost quite a bit of influence when the Emperor suffered defeat in the Northern Front at the hands of the Pope. It was further hit when the Princess got the curse of blindness. So Cordelia and I were like their rays of hope.

'Come to think of it, why hasn't Mission 1 completed yet?' I thought, 'Is it because someone doesn't trust us yet. The Emperor and the Princess do, and they are the only members of the Imperial Family. Albert, the knight also does. I think that Aluxio doesn't, but there are likely more members such as the Grand Chamberlain and the Prime Minister who are also included in the mission.'

With that, the two of us entered the bright ballrooms full of nobles.