16 | Can't Kill What's Dead

(Wonwoo)

Stepping inside the cold apartment felt relieving as I removed the leather jacket and shoes. A tired sigh escapes my lips as I lock the door, I step further into the apartment. The dimmed lights made the apartment less cold yet more empty.

I look at the pile of unread books sitting on the coffee table, I let out a sigh. Why did he have to show up? How did he—did he follow Lizbeth? How did he know Lizbeth knew me? My fist collides with the kitchen counter, the phone goes off. Mingyu is calling, I pick up the phone sliding to answer the incoming call. "Wae?" I ask as my left hand begins to shake, I open the kitchen drawer pulling out a hand warmer packet. "Are you busy?" He asks, "Why do you ask?" My voice is monotone due to exhaustion and stress.

"We're meeting at the karaoke bar for Suzy's birthday," Mingyu says a sigh leaves my lips as I hold the hand warmer to help with my hand tremors. "I'm not sure I'll be able to." I say as I walk to the couch, "I see well if you change your mind we'll be here. —oh Lizzy you made it." Mingyu ends the call. I rub my face and let a small groan of frustration leave my lips, Lizbeth is there? I thought she didn't like noisy places. I pick up the phone dialing the familiar number, I get up from the couch as it rings.

I stood in front of the balcony window, "Wonwoo?...why are you calling?" Her voice was stone cold. A sigh leaves my lips, "Auntie Chaewon, the reason why I'm calling is because of an unexpected visitor who showed up on my doorstep." I said looking at the city night lights. Auntie Chaewon sighs, "Wonwoo, I don't know what you're trying to imply." She says with frustration in her tone. I chuckle lightly, "Baek Jinyoung..." I said. Auntie Chaewon was silent for a good minute, "He's in rehabilitation Wonwoo, perhaps you should get admitted if you're seeing things." She says.

A sigh could be heard from the other end, "Baek Jinyoung is in rehab." She repeats. Almost like she was trying to convince herself and not me, I turned to face the kitchen. "If he's in rehab then why is he asking around for me Auntie Chaewon?" I asked, and she sighs. "I don't know Wonwoo, Baek Jinyoung is locked and won't be getting out any time soon." Auntie Chaewon says ending the call, a sigh of frustration escapes my lips. She knows something.

I furrowed my brows as I walked to the calendar hanging on the fridge, I exhale sharply seeing the circled date. Auntie Chaewon knows but won't admit to it. I grab my phone speed dialing Mingyu's number, "Changed your mind?" He asked. I grab my jacket and keys before walking out of the apartment, "Something like that, is everyone still there?" I asked locking the door rushing down the hallway and opening the door leading to the parking garage. "Yeah everyone is here, are you on your way?" Mingyu asks, "Yeah, ten minutes away." I said slipping into the jacket before straddling onto the bike.

"Call me when you get here, and I'll let you in," Mingyu says ending the call. A sigh leaves my lips before driving out of the parking garage, Baek Jinyoung...why can't you stay dead?