chapter forty

DISTRACTIONS

"Who is ready to start the best day of our lives, hmm?"

"Oh, so ready," Verena replied. "I'm just dying to get there."

Daphne Greengrass looked at her friend with worry. She knew she was still grieving her mother's death and would rather be anywhere else than at a Quidditch game, even if it was the biggest event in years.

"That's the spirit!" Damien said with a grin, and Verena rolled her eyes. "Bulgaria for the win!"

"Son, it's the Irish we're rooting for," Silas told him with a sigh.

"Bulgaria will win," said Damien confidently. "They've got Britain's best Seeker, Victor— "

"Krum, I know," Verena said, cutting him off. "You haven't gone a day without talking about him."

"Someone's a little bit of a fanboy," Daphne teased.

"Who wouldn't be?" Damien remarked, taking the girls by surprise. "He's only eighteen and he's playing for the Quidditch World Cup! You two aren't hyped up enough."

"It's the Irish who'll win, son," Silas said with a light chuckle.

"Oh, really?" Damien said. "I'll bet you my summer's allowance that it will be Bulgaria who'll win."

"It's a deal you'll soon sorely regret," Silas said, and they shook hands.

"Ah!" said a man as they approached, and they all looked at him weirdly. "Mr Silas Salvador."

"Ah, Mr Basil?" Silas greeted. "I almost didn't recognize you. They've dressed you well in Muggle clothes."

"Very good," said Mr Basil. "That was our intention. I see you are not working today?"

"No, Mr Crouch can handle this one without me," said Silas. "Today I shall spend some time with my children."

"Ah, what a terrible thing that happened," Mr Basil said sadly.

"Well, they take the best first, don't they?" Silas responded, smiling politely.

"Well," Mr Basil said, looking at a thick roll of parchment. "Yes, here you are... Your tent is about a quarter of a mile's walk over there, first field you come to. Site manager's called Mr Roberts."

The four ventured across the misty moor. A quarter of a mile seemed too long in Daphne's opinion. She felt as though Mr Basil was underestimating the distance of the walk.

"We're almost there," Silas said.

"Are you sure, Mr Salvador?" asked Daphne. "I can hardly see anything through this mist. It's been fifteen minutes since we parted from Mr Basil."

"I told you that you should have worked out," said Damien. "You're already tired?"

"Well, excuse me for not having your athletic prowess," she said hotly. "You know that Astoria... she had fallen ill again."

"What?" asked Verena who was hearing this for the first time. "She's ill again?"

"The flu apparently," Daphne explained. "That's what my parents keep saying, but I know it's worse than that... "

"Will she return to Hogwarts then?" Verena asked. "Is she going to be all right?"

"We're not certain yet," said Daphne. "I feel a bit guilty actually... being here and not home."

"I understand," Verena said quietly.

"Well, come on then," said Damien, standing in front of her with his back turned to her. "Get on. I'll carry you the rest of the way."