chapter thirty

THE BOGGART IN THE WARDROBE

It was arguably the best class in years. For the past few years, the students had a boring Defense Against the Dark Arts class. Professor Quirrell's lessons were boring to sit in, and Lockhart, though some had good laughs, he could not teach. Some girls would argue that he wasn't bad but Exhibit A: his chaotic pixie lesson. This year, however, people praised the teacher.

Many students who had already taken his class loved Professor Lupin. They say his class was informative and entertaining, unlike in recent years. Naturally, Verena couldn't wait to experience his class.

When she arrived in his classroom, Professor Lupin wasn't there. She was rather disappointed, hoping that no teacher substituted him for the day. She had high hopes and so did her fellow Ravenclaws.

"If he's not here... " Terry Boot said quietly as he took out his books, parchment, ink, and quill. "I hope what they say is true."

"Cho loves him," Verena said.

"Slytherins don't," Padma said sadly. "They say he must've been poor with all his dirty robes."

"Good afternoon," a voice said, and everyone turned to watch as Professor Lupin walked toward his desk. "Would you please put all your books back in your bags? Today will be a practical lesson. You will need only your wands."

"I can see why Cho said it'll be exciting," Verena said as she put her things away. "For once, we're doing a more practical lesson."

"Right then," said Professor Lupin when everyone was ready. "If you'd follow me."

The class got to its feet and followed Professor Lupin out of the classroom. He led them along a deserted corridor and around a corner. The class suddenly stopped when they faced Peeves the Poltergeist, who was floating upside down and stuffing a keyhole with chewing gum.

"Loony, loopy Lupin," Peeves sang. "Loony, loopy Lupin, loony, loopy Lupin— "

As rude and difficult as he almost always was, Peeves usually showed some respect toward the teachers. To Verena, it seemed as though they were old friends – or frenemies. Of course, it made some sense since he must have attended Hogwarts in his youth.

"I'd take that gum out of the keyhole if I were you, Peeves," Professor Lupin said pleasantly. "Mr Filch won't be able to get in to his brooms."

Peeves ignored his words and blew a loud, wet raspberry. Professor Lupin gave a small sigh and took out his wand.

"This is a useful little spell," he told the class over his shoulder. "Please watch closely."

He raised the wand to shoulder height, said, "Waddiwasi!" and pointed it at Peeves.

The gum shot out of the keyhole and straight down Peeves's left nostril. He floated upright immediately, cursing as he zoomed away. The students behind him stared with amazement.

"Shall we proceed?" he said cooly, and they set off again.

They arrived at a staffroom and Professor Lupin ushered them all in. It was full of old, mismatched chairs, and to everyone's surprise, Professor Snape was sitting in an armchair.

"Leave it open, Lupin," Professor Snape told Professor Lupin before he closed the door. "I'd rather not witness this."

At the doorway, he turned on his heel and said, "Possibly no one's warned you, Lupin, but this class contains Neville Longbottom. I would advise you not to entrust him with anything difficult. Not unless Miss Granger is hissing instructions in his ear."