chapter twenty-three

THE HORROR WITHIN

Behind Riddle, the mouth of the statue opened. Verena caught a glimpse of something yellow glowing in the darkness. Remembering what Potter had said, she looked away quickly and at Riddle.

"So, a pure-blood to the Heir of Slytherin, am I excluded on your kill list?" Verena asked nervously.

The nose of the snake glimmered as the light shone down on it. Potter grabbed Verena's wrist, darting in the opposite direction.

"If that thing wants you, and only you, why should I be risking my life for you?" Verena asked as they ran.

"Because that's what a good person does – helps people," he responded. "Not that you'd understand."

Something hit the floor, making the ground shake. Verena already knew what it was and she ran faster. She could almost feel the big snake slither across the ground, chasing them. And then, Potter tripped.

"You may be good on a broom, Potter, but you should work on your running," Verena said, running back to help him up.

She could feel the snake right behind them. She was sure it was above them as she felt water droplets fall onto her arms. She froze, waiting for the snake to just sink his teeth in – hopefully at Potter first. Nothing came, however, and she helped him stand before slowly turning around.

Just a few feet behind them, the enormous serpent, bright green and as thick as an oak trunk, had raised itself in the air. Its head thrashed around and Verena could see the bird from before had been pecking at its head.

"NO!" Riddle yelled. "Your bird may have blinded the Basilisk, but it can still hear you!"

As the Basilisk slithered forward, Verena took a step back, regretfully so. The snake stopped shaking its head and then stared right at her.

"Running, now," Verena said before running again, Potter at her heel.

"Go! Go! Go!" Potter yelled. "Take a left!"

Verena jumped into another tunnel, leading the way. She could still hear the snake behind her, water sloshing as the snake moved through it. Once she didn't hear water, she knew it was only a matter of time before it caught up to them.

Verena turned one way, cursing immediately after. It was a dead-end – the tunnel had been blocked off with bars. With one look at Potter's face, she knew that he was panicking, too. Before the two could escape, the snake appeared. Verena thought it would go past them, but it stopped.

"Don't move," she whispered in Potter's ear.

They were both breathing heavily, and Verena knew it could hear them as its head went into the tunnel. She covered both her mouth and his, hoping it would muffle their breaths. It came closer, its mouth open as it hissed at them, allowing them to see its big, pointed teeth. Verena's heart raced even faster than before, fearing being eaten.

Ever so carefully, she crouched down. Keeping her eyes on the Basilisk, she felt around, picking up a good-sized rock. She tossed it in the other tunnel and it echoed from the opposite side of them. The Basilisk retracted, moving down the tunnel, and the two waited until it had gone. When it did, the two carefully stepped out of the alcove. In another tunnel different from where the Basilisk had gone, they saw the statue. They went down the tunnel, entering the Chamber again.

Potter ran to Weasley's side and said, "What's happening to her?"

"The process is nearly complete," he replied. "In a few minutes, Ginny Weasley will be dead, and I will cease to be a memory. Lord Voldemort will return very much alive."