chapter eleven

THE FORBIDDEN FOREST

The forest was not a place to get lost in, especially at night. There was an eerie silence, except for the sounds of their footsteps. Lucky for them, the moon was out in the clear sky, its light peeking through the tall, dark trees.

Verena was scared of being alone in the forest. She had every right to be. Many creatures roamed the forest, and many could kill her in a snap. It didn't help that the boy with her kept jumping at every sound he heard, even when it was he who caused it. As anxious as she was, she didn't want to show it. She didn't want anyone going around saying Verena Salvador was scared of a little dark.

Then suddenly, SNAP! Verena turned around, pulling out her wand. Then Longbottom yelled as her wand pointed at him. Verena let out a frustrated sigh, dropping her hand. She turned around, continuing down the path.

"Sorry," he apologized. "I–I didn't mean to scare you."

Verena rolled her eyes. "I can't believe I'm stuck with such a cowardly Gryffindor. Aren't you supposed to be courageous, Longbottom?"

"That's what everyone keeps saying," he mumbled.

Verena glanced at him and said, "Seems the Hat misplaced the two of us. You're certainly not brave, nor have you got any brains. Slytherin wouldn't want you; I suppose you should have been a Hufflepuff."

"Yeah, maybe," he said quietly, and he walked ahead of her.

Verena smirked.

Then, another twig snapped, making Longbottom turn, alarmed. Then, their light snuffed out. It was pitch black. Longbottom looked around, unable to see Verena. He began to head one way, but stopped, not sure if he was going the right way.

Suddenly, he screamed in terror. He raised his wand, sending red sparks into the sky. Verena laughed, relighting the lantern. She smiled having successfully frightened him. He had slowly calmed, and for some reason, Verena felt sorry for him.

"See, this is your problem," said Verena, and Longbottom looked up at her. "If you keep acting like a scaredy-cat, people will believe you are one, therefore making you believe it yourself. It just keeps going in a circle."

"What?"

Verena rolled her eyes, hating to have to repeat it, and said, "What I'm saying is, if you never stand up to anyone, people will keep pushing you around."

"It's your friends who push me around," he replied.

"True," she agreed. "but if you stand up to them, show them that they don't bother you, I bet you they'd think twice before they jinx you again."

"Neville!" called a loud, familiar voice. "Verena!"

"Over here!" she called, following the light.

"What's happened?" Hagrid asked. "Are yer all right?"

"Fine," Verena replied. "I just scared him and the coward conjured the sparks."

"Yeh scared him?" he said with a scoff as they walked back, and he began mumbling to himself.

On their way back, Draco and Potter joined them. Potter had been worried about his friend and wanted to see if they were okay. To his surprise, Draco ran towards the danger without hesitation. At last, the four found Granger not far along down the path.

"We'll be lucky ter catch anythin' now, with the racket you two were makin'," said Hagrid, displeased. "Right, we're changin' groups. The tracks down that way disappeared, so we'll split into two. Neville, you stay with me an' Hermione. Harry, you go with Fang, Draco, an' Verena."