chapter twenty-six

THE MADMAN

BLACK STILL AT LARGE

Sirius Black, possibly the most infamous prisoner ever to be held in Azkaban fortress, is still eluding capture, the Ministry of Magic confirmed today.

"We are doing all we can to recapture Black," said the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, this morning. "and we beg the magical community to remain calm."

Fudge has been criticized by some members of the International Federation of Warlocks for informing the Muggle Prime Minister of the crisis.

"Well, really, I had to, don't you know," said an irritable Fudge. "Black is mad. He's a danger to anyone who crosses him, magic or Muggle. I have the Prime Minister's assurance that he will not breathe a word of Black's true identity to anyone. And let's face it – who'd believe him if he did?"

While Muggles have been told that Black is carrying a gun (a kind of metal wand that Muggles use to kill each other), the magical community lives in fear of a massacre like that of twelve years ago, when Black murdered thirteen people with a single curse.

"I can't believe it!" said Draco, almost happy. "He's the first to escape Azkaban!"

"What do you think this means?" Astoria asked Verena, who was sitting in a booth opposite him.

"That someone's escaped Azkaban?" Verena answered, confused.

"I mean, no one has ever escaped Azkaban," she said. "How do you think he did it? Do you think You-Know-Who's remaining followers helped him?"

"I–I don't know," Verena replied.

"It doesn't make sense," Daphne said. "I heard that Black was sorted into Gryffindor. He didn't care about blood, so why— "

"He was a spy, obviously," said Draco. "During the last years of the Dark Lord's reign, he was a strong supporter."

"You don't think he'd come to Hogwarts – would he?" Astoria asked fearfully.

"He wouldn't," Daphne said. "He wouldn't risk getting caught – especially with Dumbledore there."

"I think, who gives a shit?" said Damien from the other side of the car. "He wouldn't attack us pure-bloods. Only the Mudbloods and Potter, I bet."

"I wish the Muggle-borns would get a break," Astoria mumbled.

"I'm sorry I haven't talked with you much," said Daphne. "I've been... Let's just say I've been in a mood."

"It's fine, Daph, really," Verena said, smiling. "I know I haven't been the world's best friend – or sister."

"Problems with Damien?" Daphne asked, glancing back at her brother. "Does he know the professors won't allow him to smoke at Hogwarts?"

"I don't think he'd care," Verena mumbled.

"He looks... sad," Astoria observed.

"He's under a lot of stress," Verena told them, knowing they'd understand. "He's not ready for the future, living up to our parents' expectation of him – carrying on the pure-blood Duman-Salvador name. All he does is smoke or drink. I couldn't get through to him all summer."

"He needs someone to set him straight," Daphne said determinedly. "Professor Snape ought to be the right person."

"Anyone but him," Verena said with a chuckle. "I think Professor Snape would only rile him up more."