chapter ten

DETENTION

Verena awoke from hearing a crash. She sat up, startled, especially after having another nightmare. She lit a candle and began to get out of bed. To her left, the window had a hole in it, letting a cool breeze inside. Then, she saw the blood.

She followed the trail and saw the most horrifying thing. A black crow lay dead beside the edge of her bed. Its neck seemed broken and its wings were sprawled out, surrounded by its feathers. Verena bent down to pick it up. Upon seeing the rest of its disfigured body, Verena dropped it, letting out a scream.

Verena breathed heavily, sitting upright in her bed. She hurried to find her wand and lit a candle. She stood up, looking around. The window was intact and there was no crow. It was only a dream.

Then, there was a thud by the window. Verena turned to it. She opened it and saw the thick liquid that slowly dripped from it. Knowing whatever it was would have fallen into the courtyard below, she took her candle and left.

She walked quietly down the marble staircases. She was careful not to alarm any of the portraits or startle the ghosts – especially Peeves the Poltergeist. Finally, she reached the courtyard and took a look around. But there was nothing.

"Maybe I'm imagining things," she muttered, but Verena was so sure she saw something. "It had a clear shot down this way... "

"Rena?"

She was so startled by the voice that she dropped the candle. She sighed with relief, knowing one of the only people who ever called her that.

"What are you doing?" he asked in a whisper.

Verena picked up her candle and looked at him saying, "I could ask you the same thing."

"Did you drop something?" he asked, looking at the ground.

"No, I just thought I saw something," she replied. "What are you doing?"

"Potter's got a dragon," he said. Verena looked at him weirdly. "It's true!"

"Okay, I believe you," Verena said. "So what?"

"I'm going to bust him," he said with a smile.

"What good will that do?" she asked. "Honestly, you'll end up in more trouble. I doubt your mother would enjoy hearing you've got detention."

"And you?" he said defensively. "So you saw something. Why get out of bed to look for it?"

"Curiosity," she responded. "I'm going back. I suggest you do the same."

"I'll walk you," he replied. "I'm heading in that general direction."

They walked inside and back up the marble staircases. It was a quiet walk as they did not want to be caught. But then, there was a light from ahead. Quickly, the two blew their candles out. It was too late, however, for Professor McGonagall had found them. She tightened her robe around her body, staring at them with cold eyes.

"What are you two doing out of bed?" she asked, her voice rising with each word.

"Astronomy," Verena replied, feigning a smile.

"On a Saturday?" she questioned.

Verena knew they were done for. "I meant to— "

"You two have earned yourselves detention," she said, displeased. "And twenty points from Slytherin and Ravenclaw. Wandering around in the middle of the night, how dare you— "