"She has many friends," Verena said.

"You can, too," Damien said. "Sorry I haven't been around much to check on you – Quidditch and all – but have you ever tried making friends in your House?"

"I-I wasn't sure if that would be acceptable," Verena explained. "They're not all pure-bloods in my year. I don't know if our parents would approve. You know, Daphne doesn't care much about the blood purity philosophies, yet she's still popular," Verena added.

"If you say it out loud like that, she won't be popular," said Damien warningly.

"Right, sorry," Verena said, remembering that it was Daphne's secret.

"Besides, she's one of the prettiest girls in your year," said Damien, and Verena furrowed her brows, confused. "You know, people will follow the pretty ones."

"You think Daphne's pretty?" Verena questioned.

"Well, she has matured since we've last seen her," he explained. "She grows more into her nice features every day."

"I'm almost flattered."

Damien chuckled nervously as their heads turned to the girl. Daphne stood before them, rolling her eyes at Damien. Beside her was a girl with a Ravenclaw tie on. She was Asian with long dark hair and a freckled face.

"This is Cho Chang, Verena," Daphne introduced. "She said she's been looking for you."

"Hello," Verena greeted politely.

"I'll leave the two of you," said Damien, but before he left he leaned in and whispered, "You just have to pick the right friends," and he winked.

"I'll find you in Herbology later," Daphne told her.

She left with Damien, and he put his arm around her. Immediately, she took his arm away from her saying, "You disgust me."

"Oh, come on, Daph... "

Verena chuckled, then turned back to the girl to greet her. "Right! The famous Cho Chang of Ravenclaw House."

"The unexpected Ravenclaw, Verena Salvador," she replied. "You see, I wished to ask you something."

"Go on then," Verena said.

"Do you like Quidditch?" she asked.

Verena laughed. What a ridiculous question it was. "Of course, I do!"

"I saw you flying," she explained. "Tossing that small ball, and then you threw it with such force, so strongly. I talked to the Quidditch co-captain of our team, Roger Davies, and he's interested."

"Is he?" Verena spoke, intrigued.

"Though first-years can't play – well, besides Harry Potter," she added, and Verena nodded. "Roger tells me that you could come watch practice and help out. You do want to be on the team next year, right?"

"Yes, of course, I do," Verena said, smiling. "Um, thank you."

"Don't mention it," said Cho, and they began to walk back to the castle. "You know, you may be feeling like you're not who you're supposed to be... I just hope you know that the Hat made a good choice. Maybe things would be easier if you admit that you're not like the rest of your family, and you've never been like them."

"You do not know me," Verena remarked, stopping in her tracks.

"Well, I don't think you know yourself either," she said back, holding a sweet smile.

-:- -:- -:- -:- -:-

For the last week, Verena was shunned by the girls of Slytherin; all except for Daphne, of course. Those two had been friends since they could talk. Nothing would separate them. Verena just hoped that Pansy's ridiculous gossip and rumours wouldn't change how Draco saw her.