76: There's a Light

Start from the beginning

"Raven," Shine said quietly. "It's not his fault. Please."

Raven sniffed and dropped him, he scowled up at her.

"Well, he can't leave now," she said. "He'll go right back to Salem and tell her where I am. If he does, I'm gone."

"Please try to stay calm," Shine stood back up. "I don't think Mercury will much want to go back after he hears what happened...if he's sane."

Mercury didn't like that remark.

"Look, all I want to know is how the heck people are just not dead all the sudden," he said.

"You know, this whole thing has been one great conversation starter," Pyrrha said.

Wally laughed.

"But I'm okay with it," Pyrrha said. "I'm accepting my fate...at least it's a change of pace from being a world renowned fighter...as I recall, you didn't want to fight me anyway." She frowned at Mercury.

"Oh that? I was just messing with you to get information," Mercury said.

"Shut up," Emerald hissed at him.

"Seriously is she a ghost or is Cinder just really bad at her job?" Mercury asked.

"No and yes," Shine said.

"Look before you do your whole spile about how you bring people back to life and all that," Raven waved her hand. "I think we should talk about this. The giant and the street rat were one thing, I can buy them leaving...sort of. At least I think they're dead if they go back. But he just happens to show up now? After what happened to my tribe? I think he's looking for one of us."

"Well, we knew that already," Shine said. "What's your point?"

"Who's going to watch him?" Raven said. "Because I know you're going to say just killing him is wrong. Even if it's smarter."

Mercury glared at her.

"Hey I don't have to stick around here," he said.

Qrow stepped in front of the path to the exit, and Winter frowned at him with her hand on her sword.

The other kids looked ready to blocked him too.

"Okay, the tension in this room is getting pretty thick," Wally muttered. "Shine, what do we do?"

"Well they're right, we're not sure he's convinced yet," Shine said. "But I think we could give him a little time to process this before we start making threats. And no one is killing 17 year olds on my watch."

"I'm 18," Mercury said.

"Whatever," Shine said. "Would you all stop acting like that, if he runs, why does it matter? We knew they'd assume all of us were here. We have a Maiden here already, what's Salem going to do, send more than one hound this time? We'll kill them like we did the last one. If she wants to show her gross self here in person, I welcome the challenge."

She looked at Qrow. "Come on."

Qrow sighed. "I still think it's a bad idea, but fine. You want to try to do this, it's on you if it goes south."

"I'm thinking is was a mistake to listen to you," Mercury said to Emerald. "Clearly they're not feeling too trusting. Are you sure you traded up?"

"Look, just...once we explain what happened, it'll all make sense," Emerald said. "Right Hazel?"

"If you're here you should know the truth," was Hazel's contribution.

"And right on time," Shine glanced at the doorway.